• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touch Up Paint, And Compounding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch Up Paint, And Compounding?

Ok, so my car has a good amount of rock chips, and I have a bunch of questions. I own a blue 2002 WRX.

I was thinking about getting touch up primer, paint, and clear coat paint pens. I really want it to look very clean on the touch up.

My process I was thinking was clean, use the touch up primer, and then the paint. But after using the paint, I'm pretty sure it will blob up, so my questions are removing that are:
    1. Could I use ultimate compound the level the paint surface? Or should I stick with something more aggressive like m105? And the move on to polish/wax
    2. Would compounding not be aggressive enough, so should I wet sand with 1500 grit? or higher? And then move on to compound/polish/wax

If I could to this by hand, this would be great, if not I could eventually buy a dual action polisher.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Touch Up Paint, And Compounding?

I hope this is legal...have you looked at "Dr Color Chip?"

Bill

Comment

Re: Touch Up Paint, And Compounding?

Wet sanding will produce the best results but I've had reasonable success on small chips with m105. I will use a small amount of the m105 by hand on a terry cloth. Only moderate pressure is required because it is possible to quickly remove all the paint. This will take some practice before you get the right touch.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');