• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car: first time waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car: first time waxing

Just a question for those of you who are more experienced... If you have a new car and wash then clay it would you also use ultimate compound or would you go directly to ultimate polish if after claying the finish is in really good shape? I figure since the ultimate polish does have some abrasives in it that if the finish was already pretty clean that I didn't need to do the ultimate compound. Just wondering what some of your experiences were.

Re: New Car: first time waxing

I would go straight to Ultimate Polish. No need to compound the paint when not required. Just clay, polish and wax.

Comment

It is always wise to start with the least aggressive method which would be your Ultimate Polish. If the paint is in really nice condition you may find that is all you need before using your LSP (wax/sealant) of choice. If you do find some light swirls or scratches that are isolated and the UP does not do the trick then step up to the next level which would be ScratchX 2.0. If that doesn't work then you may try the Ultimate Compound. Remember to always try each product out on an inconspicuous test spot before working an entire panel

Hope this helps and have fun!

Comment

That deff helps, just nice to know I was on the right track... I never thought about trying the least aggressive to most aggressive if it doesn't fix my problem. That's a good idea to make sure you don't use something more powerful than you need!

Comment

I wouldnt really worry about ScratchX 2.0.... kind of an excess product if you are going to have UP/SwirlX and UC on your shelf.

But yeah, really the goal is to just cover each step (just clay if needed), in some way in order. If all you need is mild, then mild is good.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I just finished my deatil. It went well. I ended up claying and just using UP then ULW. The car is so new and was in such good shape I didn't need to use UC. Maybe in 3 months I may need to use some UC. I plan to take good care of the finish so who knows. I was quite surprised that my clay bar did pick up a little bit of defects. It wasn't a whole lot but more than I would have thought coming from a new car. I think dealerships need to keep their cars in a warehouse and not just sitting outside in the elements!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');