• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st New Car, 1st New Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st New Car, 1st New Post

Hi all,

I came across this forum and you guys all seem to know what you're talking about. I just picked up a black 2005 Mustang GT and was wondering if you guys can provide some insight.

I bought the new Supreme Shine Microfiber and the Ultra Plush super terry the other night. I washed my car and had a lot of trouble drying the car. My assumption is that whatever material the dealer used to prep the car (1 week old) was interacting with the water and giving me trouble. Here's my question: What is the best product to use when drying? Is the super shine MF good for drying or is it better used in another application? What about the Terry cloths.

Secondly, on my oldblack/red blazer, I used the Meguiar's 3-step (Cleaner, Polish, carnuba). Is it recommended that I continue to use this on my new car or is there a more suitable alternative. Is the Scratch X supposed to be used in conjunction with the cleaner or does it replace it?

If there are any other suggestions that anyone would like to share, it would be very much appreciated.

The water magnet is the best thing to use when drying. If you use some QD while you're drying it will help you avoid marring. One trick is to go over the surface with a slow stream of water to help sheet the water on the surface off before drying. This step gets a great deal of the water off before even bringing out the towel.

Comment

As far as you clean/polishing/waxing, the consumer line would continue to work fine for you. You may feel like using the Nxt wax, or the DC#3, or whichever wax you like best. I am sure other people can say which they like best on black.

You may want to consider adding a claying step to your routine, as that should enhance your results even more.

The ScratchX is a paint cleaner, that would be used instead of DC#1 if you needed it. However, it is also one of the stronger, and possibly most time consuming products to use. I would doubt your new car needs that much care.

You may look into something like #80/#83 in the Professional line, incase you do have some swirls to deal with already.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
        The water magnet is the best thing to use when drying. If you use some QD while you're drying it will help you avoid marring. One trick is to go over the surface with a slow stream of water to help sheet the water on the surface off before drying. This step gets a great deal of the water off before even bringing out the towel.
        QD? I assume that stands for Quik Detailer. I use that in between washes but never while drying. Are you saying I should use it immediately after drying the car or while the car is still wet? As for the slow stream, I've heard of that before. I'm going to try it out.

Comment

For your black 2005 Mustang GT I would highly recommend using NXT Tech Wax as a last step product.
          FRANK CANNA
          Mirror Finish Detailing
          23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go out and pick ups some NXT tech wax and a water magnet, among other things this weekend.

One last thing thing that I need clarification on that I asked in my original post: Can someone describe the best uses for the Supreme Shine MF and the Ultra Plush Terry cloths? Thanks

Comment

I've read in several places that NXT topped with MEG#26 is supposed to look incredible on black. Haven't tried it yet though. My L is black and I use DC#2 followed by NXT and I can't imagine it looking any better!
              Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

My 2003 Grand Prix is Black and I would highly suggest after polishing, use NXT, it does great things for black. I've also topped it with 26 and that even makes a slicker and more reflective look IMO.

Tom

Comment

Welcome! The folks on this forum know a bunch. However, an excellent site for a beginner is

It's editor, David Bynon, is almost as smart as Mike or Tim.

Tom

Comment

Hi:

One last thing thing that I need clarification on that I asked in my original post: Can someone describe the best uses for the Supreme Shine MF and the Ultra Plush Terry cloths? Thanks
                    These towels are mainly used for product removal. Example, after you have applied your wax (LSP) you would buff the wax off with one of these towels. The trend now is to use a microfiber towel like the Supreme Shine towel. Most people have a number of these towels that they use ony for buffing. This keeps the towels in good shape and prevents scratching the paint when you remove product. Some people still like to use a terry towel for this, like the Ultra Plush. Either will work, it depends on what you like to use.

When you are detailing a car you will what to use different towels for different jobs. Example, a towel that you buff the paint with would not be used to clean a wheel well or door jam.

Regards,

KTruck
                    Last edited by KTruck; Mar 16, 2005, 07:44 PM.
                    Make it Shine

Comment

Do you think it would be a good idea to wash with dish detergent before I detail the car for first time? Just to remove the stuff the dealer used.

Also, how long should I wait before the first detail. I have to wait at least until mid-April due to weather and time constraints. Is this long enough?

Comment

Don't wait to detail. You need protection for your new Mustang as soon as possible. If you are pressed for time, wash it with one of Meguiar's shampoos and then use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (burgandy bottle). Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a darn good product. It is very easy to apply and remove and it is inexpensive. In my "lazy daze" that's all I ever used and my black vehicles always looked great.

Meguiar's shampoo and Cleaner Wax should take care of whatever the dealer might have applied to the truck before you picked it up. No Dawn -- ever.

Tom

p.s. There are lots of us on this forum that "know" black. We'll be glad to help you when you have more time. Start thinking about buying a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
                        Last edited by tguil; Mar 17, 2005, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tguil
                          Don't wait to detail. You need protection for your new Mustang as soon as possible. If you are pressed for time, wash it with one of Meguiar's shampoos and then use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (burgandy bottle). Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a darn good product. It is very easy to apply and remove and it is inexpensive. In my "lazy daze" that's all I ever used and my black vehicles always looked great.

Meguiar's shampoo and Cleaner Wax should take care of whatever the dealer might have applied to the truck before you picked it up. No Dawn -- ever.

Tom

p.s. There are lots of us on this forum that "know" black. We'll be glad to help you when you have more time. Start thinking about buying a Porter Cable dual action polisher.

I have used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax many times. Its a good product.

When you get the time pick up some other products, something like the Deep Crystal system or some NXT Tech wax to take it that extra step. The list can go on for ever on what you could do!

Looks at my photos in my gallery. I have a Black Lighting and the photos tell the produts that I used, might be helpful to you.
                          Good Luck!
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387

I have used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax many times. Its a good product.

When you get the time pick up some other products, something like the Deep Crystal system or some NXT Tech wax to take it that extra step. The list can go on for ever on what you could do!

Looks at my photos in my gallery. I have a Black Lighting and the photos tell the produts that I used, might be helpful to you.
                            Good Luck!
                            If I need to detail it right away, I'll make the time. I just thought that with a new car, there should be a wait period, so to speak. I've used Meguiar's products on my 91 Blazer, which was really dull, and loved it. I know this Mustang is a whole different ball game.

My current list of goodies:
                            DC#1 Cleaner
                            DC#2 Polish
                            NXT Tech Wax (this replaces my DC#3 Carnuba)
                            Quik Detailer
                            Supreme Shine MF
                            Ultra Plush Terry
                            Water Magnet
                            Foam Applicators
                            Terry cloth Applicators
                            Wash Mitt

Many of these things haven't even been taken out of the package yet. I still need to go get some leather cleaner/conditioner, interior trim protectant, wheel cleaner, tire shine, etc...

You guys mentioned cleaner/wax. I was under the impression that any "combo" product was the easy way out, and didn't work very well.

One thing that I am really worried about was mentioned in my first post: "I washed my car and had a lot of trouble drying the car. My assumption is that whatever material the dealer used to prep the car (1 week old) was interacting with the water and giving me trouble." Did you ever hit a wet spot on your car while waxing and the water just spreads all over? Well, that happened to the whole car. This is the reason that I thought maybe the dish detergent would be in line.

Comment

05phillyStang,

Your current list of goodies:

DC#1 Cleaner
                              DC#2 Polish
                              NXT Tech Wax (this replaces my DC#3 Carnuba)
                              Quik Detailer
                              Supreme Shine MF
                              Ultra Plush Terry
                              Water Magnet
                              Foam Applicators
                              Terry cloth Applicators
                              Wash Mitt

Should be more than adequate. Make sure that you have a good shampoo. Time to get to detailing rather than just talking about it.

A good cleaner/wax is what you use when you don't have the time or the energy to use a more labor intensive process. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a good product to use at those times.

In your situation, I'd be tempted to wash your new Mustang, use the DC #1 Cleaner and then go directly to the NXT. You might not need to use the DC#2 Polish.

It appears that you already are a tad bit obsessive about detailing. This forum will only worsen your condition.

Don't forget to check out the website I mentioned earlier.

Again -- "Just do it!" and don't forget to think about buying a PC.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');