• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Dual Action Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Dual Action Polisher

So my next investment for my car will be a polisher. I recently did my car all by hand... This was good and I got good results but it was a lot of work and I prob would of had better results with a polisher. The Meguiars polisher is a little expensive, coming from someone who has never purchased one before. Like all things is it worth the few extra bucks or is a cheap one from wal-mart good too? Just wondering, because if its worth it I'm ok with shelling out a few more bucks.

Re: Meguiars Dual Action Polisher

Last time I checked Wal Mart didn't have a Dual Action Polisher. They only have an orbital polisher which is totally different. A Dual Action Polisher oscilates and spins. And yes the polisher is a little expensive but in my opinion it is most definitely worth it. I would recommend going to www.autodetailingsolutions.net and buy one of there packages with the polisher.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Orbital polishers from Walmart, Autozone or any car parts store don't have enough power/torque for paint correction. Once you apply pressure then those machines just stop working. The beauty of the g110v2 dual action polisher is that it has a lot of power and it has a cruise control feature. What this does is that when you apply pressure to the head of the polisher, it has internal circuitry that will try to kick the motor into high gear and try to maintain the same rotational force.

If you're only planning to use it to apply waxes then those orbitals should be good enough. But if you plan to remove swirls and scratches with the use of Ultimate Compound, SwirlX or any similar product then the g110v2 will be the right tool for the job.
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Ok, im convinced :p Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
          Orbital polishers from Walmart, Autozone or any car parts store don't have enough power/torque for paint correction. Once you apply pressure then those machines just stop working. The beauty of the g110v2 dual action polisher is that it has a lot of power and it has a cruise control feature. What this does is that when you apply pressure to the head of the polisher, it has internal circuitry that will try to kick the motor into high gear and try to maintain the same rotational force.

If you're only planning to use it to apply waxes then those orbitals should be good enough. But if you plan to remove swirls and scratches with the use of Ultimate Compound, SwirlX or any similar product then the g110v2 will be the right tool for the job.
          I have a orbital and it's pretty much useless in my opinion. It worked better when I first bought it about 4yrs ago. I too am shopping around at this point for a Dual Action machine. I actually had to hand remove my mg Gold Carnauba last time because the orbital wouldn't remove it. I may have left the wax on too long as well. So I removed it with a MF towell by hand and no problems. I also read the article about Detailing By Hand here on this site. So with that said, and I don't have any swirl marks to remove at this point since I payed a pro to do all that. should I just stick to the Hand Method ? Have many of you all used the Hand method to apply the swirlx, polish, wax etc...like they did on that How To article ? for your personal vehhicles ? I'm only going to be doing my own personal car. If it's going to kill me, feel free to say just that. I have a mustang cobra convertible so I don't have the top to do if that makes much if any difference. Thanks in advance. P.S. I have pain pump inside my guts which means I'm in severe pain 24/7 after a few accidents following getting rear ended on my bike by a drunk driver to make a long...story short. Thanks to her, I"m no longer able to ride my harley and my brother has now. I hate that woman ! I'm sorry but my life is ah...xxxxxx after that.

Comment

I do all my detailing steps by hand.
            As to remove swirls by hand, I failed. I tried with DC-Polish, ScratchX 1 and 2, SwirlX and recently UC and my swirls would not come off...My car is bright silver so the swirls don't show.
            If I ever buy a black car, I will definitely buy a DA.

Comment

I have a DA machine but it's not the Megs, one of the other guys. It wasn't expensive compared to the time/effort of working by hand which I'd been doing all my life, and considering the end results.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
                I have a DA machine but it's not the Megs, one of the other guys. It wasn't expensive compared to the time/effort of working by hand which I'd been doing all my life, and considering the end results.
                So does it require you to hold on to it with both hands ? Due to my issues, when I do it by hand, I can support myself with my other hand which seems to put less stress on the lower part of my body. Then on the sides of my car I can use my stool on wheels or my creeper to get the areas down low on the sides of the car. I have to do a little bit, then take a break etc..unfortunately. If you do have to hold it with both hands can you do it standing straight up or do you find yourself having to bend over a bit etc... ? If I do have to bend over and I've got both hands on the machine, I'm afraid I may loose my balance, possibly fall and break the machine. I do have strong arms/shoulders so if it's a well balanced machine I could possibly do it with one hand is what I'm thinking. That is if the weight of the machine will be enough to do the job correctly. I just don't have any experience with these machines. Thanks for the replies all

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');