• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Splotchy travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splotchy travel trailer

I hope seasoned members can help with my struggle to properly clean and wax my travel trailer. Here are the details.
    The trailer has a Filon exterior. It is essentially prefab fibreglass so thin it comes on a roll. It is then laminated to styrofoam and lightweight thin wood to make the travel trailer walls. The exterior is white but the bottom 20% is covered with tan colored vinyl, with additional vinyl graphic stripes in tan and navy. The trailer is 7 years old. I had the trailer sprayed when new and again about 3 years ago with something the dealer claimed would protect the finish from UV/acid rain and eliminate the need to wax. Nevertheless, the trailer lost its lustre and I started waxing it once or twice a year, a couple of years ago. I use Meguiar's car wash and gold class liquid wax. These work well on my car and van but appear too splotchy on the trailer. I am guessing that after simple washing, the trailer is not really clean enough to wax? Likely the surface has oxidation.

I tried gently applying by hand a polishing compound on one section before waxing and that seemed to help a lot, except on the vinyl which remained splotchy. I am thinking of trying Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to finish up the rest of the trailer. I don't have a machine so I would do it by hand. Is it safe for Filon? for vinyl? Do you think it is the answer to getting the surface ready for splotch-free waxing?

The gold class wax worked quite well after the polishing compound but would it be better to switch to marine wax? If so, would I use the Flagship Premium cleaner/wax?

Regarding the vinyl, the color has faded but I don't know if anything can restore it. I want to be sure not to damage it. It looks splotchy now from waxing. What should I do with it?

Being retired with arthritis and on a fixed income, I need a system that's fairly inexpensive and easy to do. Fortunately I have time to do one side/end per day if necessary. I really don't want to invest in a machine if not necessary. Thanks for your help. Happy RVing / boating.
    John

Re: Splotchy travel trailer

John,

Have you tried M-50 (cleaner-wax)? I have found that it seems to 'like' Filon. It can be applied by hand.

As for the graphics...try to stay away from them with ANY product that has petroleum in its' formula. Some will/can stand up fine, others just start the dreaded edge curl and drying. Just a word of caution.

Hope this helped ya...

Bill

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');