• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some quick work on a Lexus ES350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some quick work on a Lexus ES350

This car belongs to my grandma, who has always loved keeping her car very clean. Due to her age, she usually just takes it through a touchless car wash weekly, which does an okay job at keeping her car relatively clean. She bought the car new last summer, so the paint was still in really good shape. She just got back from a 500 mile road trip and her car was covered in bugs, dust, and grime so I told her I'd give it a makeover.

Here is the car after I finished:

Note that I performed all of the washing/cleaning at her house about 48 hours prior to these pictures being taken -- these are in my driveway. She managed to get the windshield dirty

Products & Process:

Wash: Gold Class Car Wash. Wheels & Tires cleaned with Deep Crystal Car wash and APC+, using a Mothers tire brush & a Mothers Wheel Brush.

Clay: Horizantal surfaces clayed with Last Touch 1:1 and Smooth Surface Clay

Spot Correction: Paint was pretty much swirl-free, but there were a few bad water spots and bird droppings I got rid of with a W8006 pad and Ultimate Compound applied via PC7424 on Speed 5.

Wax: NXT 2.0 applied via PC7424 with a W9006 finishing pad.

Tires: Endurance Tire Gel, applied with a foam applicator from ADS.

My grandma was very happy with the results, and said the car looks better than when she bought it. I believe it -- the NXT 2.0 really brought out the metallic flake in the paint. It was a lot of fun to work on such a nice car. Don't mind my dirty BMW in the background -- that's my next project once I get some more foam pads.

Great job on the detail! The color looks good! You should try Ultimate Wax the next time you detail your grandmother's ES.

That's nice of you do this for her. Thumbs up!
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Re: Some quick work on a Lexus ES350

I really can't take too much credit, the paint was already in great shape.

I've been tempted to pick up some Ultimate Wax, but honestly do you feel it gives a better look than NXT? I have used NXT liquid a few times and have been pretty happy with it, it has produced a nice result on each application. I have just heard too many mixed opinions on UW in both application and look to throw down the $20 for a tin or bottle of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
        I really can't take too much credit, the paint was already in great shape.

I've been tempted to pick up some Ultimate Wax, but honestly do you feel it gives a better look than NXT? I have used NXT liquid a few times and have been pretty happy with it, it has produced a nice result on each application. I have just heard too many mixed opinions on UW in both application and look to throw down the $20 for a tin or bottle of it.
        If you like using NXT then continue using it until you run out. But it's still worth trying UW and see if it gives you better results. In my experience, I like NXT 2.0 on light colored metallics and I like UW on darker colored cars especially non metallic colors. I recommended UW Because your grandmother has a dark grey colored car.

Comment

Okay I will look into picking up some UW. Do you prefer the paste or the liquid version? I have two black cars in my family that need complete makeovers, and I just can't decide what I want to use as my LSP -- debating between Gold Class Carnauba Plus, NXT 2.0, M26, UW, etc.

The myriad of Meguiars products is a blessing and a curse.

Comment

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
            Okay I will look into picking up some UW. Do you prefer the paste or the liquid version? I have two black cars in my family that need complete makeovers, and I just can't decide what I want to use as my LSP -- debating between Gold Class Carnauba Plus, NXT 2.0, M26, UW, etc.

The myriad of Meguiars products is a blessing and a curse.
            I prefer te paste version of UW. Trust me, the results you'll get on black paint is amazing. Please let us know what you think of this product after you use it.

I think it's a blessing to have a gargantuan selection of products. It's really fun to pick and choose which product you'll use.

I really hope all these helped.

Comment

I will pick up some UW paste then as a LSP for our black cars. I better like it!

Comment

The project turned out really good.

The paint looks great after UC/ NxT treatment.

Comment

Thanks greg -- I'm excited to get those lake country pads you suggested. I think I'm going to like them a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');