• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie need advice

Hope someone can help me I have a 2 week old 2012 Ford Taurus in Ebony Black. I plan on waxing it this week with NXT. I have used the Mequiar's cleaner wax in the past always made my cars look good. Read reviews of NXT looks like the right choice for black. I plan on using my 10 yr old craftsman 11in orbital buffer haven't used it in years noticed newer buffers are smaller ?, was wondering if I should use it or wax by hand. Buffer still in box. I have been lurking here for past week and got some great ideas bought grit guards, Mequiars micro fiber cloths and 2 buckets can't wait to start. Any advice would be helpful Thanks joekel

Re: Newbie need advice

i would put it on by hand.

Comment

Ehh... hard to say.. might be just as easy by hand. You can use the buffer, it is more of a wax-spreader anyway.

The best results would be from Cleaner/Wax followed by Nxt. (claying first as well...)
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice I will try and post pictures. Just another question why did they get away from the 10 -11 inch orbitals ? joekel

Comment

Probably cheaper to make smaller.... Although technically you would get a bit more work out of the same motor and a smaller pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Probably cheaper to make smaller.... Although technically you would get a bit more work out of the same motor and a smaller pad.
            Agreed.
            A 6 inch buffer would have a surface area of 28.274 inches, whereas,
            An 11 inch buffer would have a surface area of 95.033 inches.
            This means that the 11 inch buffer, as opposed to the 6 inch buffer has 3.361 times the surface area. The larger the area, the more resistance due to friction. Also, any force you apply downward (say, to get a scratch out) is more dispersed in an 11 inch buffer, as opposed to a 6 inch buffer.
            Smaller is better in terms of power, assuming the motors are the same strength.

Comment

Hand application of both NXT liquid and paste is really easy, I would probably stick to going that route. I love waxing by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
                Hand application of both NXT liquid and paste is really easy, I would probably stick to going that route. I love waxing by hand.
                its kind of man thing.i have been doing it for 46 yrs now.boy, TURTLE WAX was big thing back in my day .it was BEAR to get off...........

Comment

why?

Why nxt and not ultimate wax. I thought ultimate wax was the newer and better wax for black? Am i wrong?

Comment

Well, newer/better, but applies a bit different, so some folks arent comfortable with it yet. (not saying I have it perfect)

According to some it looks more rich like a carnuba though, as opposed to Nxt.

Comment

I have a black car and I did mine by hand with ultimate liquid wax and everything went just fine! You just got to be sure to make a very thin even layer on the car and you won't have any problems! I love the fact that it won't stain trim so you don't have to be super careful around trim... Makes my life a lot easier!

Comment

(deleted duplicate post)

Comment

I have used both NXT Gen 2.0 (paste) and Ultimate Wax (liquid) on a black Ford vehicle- and I think they both look great. The NXT was a little easier to remove, but UW doesn't stain the trim. They both seem to me to be a little fussy about the weather- specifically, they tended to be streaky if the surface is hot, you're in the sun, and/or it's really humid, but other than that I really like them on black.
                          As for your buffer / wax applicator, I still have a 10" orbital (Black & Decker, not Craftsman, but I don't think there's much of a difference), and I think it works fine for polishing and waxing. If you choose to use it, foam bonnets work best for application, and microfiber bonnets for removal, but of course, due to the size of the buffer, you'll still need to do some spots by hand, both applying and removing. And definitely apply thin.

Comment

Just want to let everyone know I detailed the car on Friday used NXT by hand very easy to use and all I can say is wow the shine is just amazing!! One more question unfortunately the car will be outside no garage any advice on how to keep it clean besides washing and waxing Thanks again joekel

Comment

Generally, washing will be best.

Sitting outside all the time, probably will pick up too much dust/dirt to QD. Can look into a California Duster perhaps.

Mine is the same way... I just wash it when I can, and UQW after.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');