• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing salt stains with towels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing salt stains with towels?

I'm trying to get the car ready for winter duties. Just my luck the car's carpeting is black, and if I don't spring for those footwell trays from Husky Liners or WeatherTech, I'm going to be stuck with white salt stains.

I currently have vinyl floor mats from the manufacturer installed. Two friends suggested putting towels around the floor mats. That way, the salty mess that comes from my shoes will get absorbed, and all I need to do is toss the towels into the washing machine. I never heard of this before, and just wanted to know if it works. I just think that even if they do absorb the salty water, it could easily get reabsorbed by the carpet.

Re: Preventing salt stains with towels?

I have the WT's. Well worth the cost if you're gonna keep the car for a few years. The towels sound like a 'make-do' answer that would look tacky & probably not work well. A less expensive way would be to get some deep ribbed rubber mats from Costco or one of those places.

Comment

I have the WeatherTechs too, good investment with the amount of salt used these days.

Just be careful with the towels, don't need any unintended acceleration problems.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

Another (and cheaper) option is to go to a local carpet store and ask it they have any samples you can buy. I go to a few and they usually want a dollar or two for a sample or might even let you have them for free. I use two for the drivers side, two for the passenger and once in each spot in the back seats. It's great because the carpet will absorb the water and other grim from the winter and still look pretty good.

I have one sample from my older car that I have probably had for about eight years now and it still looks pretty good. Plus you can get that groove for your heel to fit into and your carpets won't move on you.
        "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Do use caution about what you place around your floor mats. I've read where stuff gets jammed and causes unintended acceleration and subsequent injury and even deaths. Toyota did recalls over this recently.

I use OEM rubber mats in my Lexus in the winter and they hook to the floorboard. They have a board rim around the mat to catch a lot of slop. I'd also strongly advise against putting rubber all-weather mats on top of your normal carpeted mats.

What little spillage I do encounter is easily removed come spring with a steamer and carpet extractor.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

I would get some rubber mats. I have them in my Civic and they save it in the winter.
            Tedrow's Detailing
            845-642-1698
            Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Been using rubber mats in my cars since my first one in high school. Not a perfect solution, and I would think something like the digital fit from WT would be nice, but the cheapos have worked well for me. My dad has used the towel trick on his cars in the past with good results as well.
              2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

I have used towels before they seem to work to some point then they were wet and needed to be washed and dried but i found some that were gray to match the carpet in my truck and they looked good to me. I also keep a gray towel on the trans tunnel all the time to keep the carper clean there.
                2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
                1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
                1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
                1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
                1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');