Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 139

Thread: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

          
  1. #81
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Katy Texas
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    I tried this on chrome wheels. After they dried, I noticed the surface now has a rough texture in places and does not have the mirror like reflection it used to have, although the chrome still looks very bright from a distance.

    Did I do something wrong with my application? I cleaned the wheels with the new Hot Rims All Wheel and Tire Cleaner (2 applications), let them dry completely, then sprayed on the BDB. I tried to make sure it did not go on too thick and run, but it seemed pretty uniform. Temp was about 70F.

  2. #82
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,392
    Rep Power
    1136

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Any chance you might have gotten it on too light? Application isn't that much different than spraying a clear coat of paint so going too thin in areas might cause such an issue.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  3. #83
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Suburban Washington DC
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    I put them on these machine finish clearcoated wheels. It goes on like spray paint. Spray too heavy and you get runs. Spray it right and you might get a little orange peel that flows out after a minute or two.


  4. #84
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Katy Texas
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Any chance you might have gotten it on too light? Application isn't that much different than spraying a clear coat of paint so going too thin in areas might cause such an issue.
    I was worried about getting runs, so I probably went too light. Can I fix it?

  5. #85
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,392
    Rep Power
    1136

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Yes, you can fix it. First off, try just spraying a second coat over the first one you have - that should level it out once it dries and cures, which should be in an hour or so. If that doesn't do it then you can remove the existing coating with either some isopropyl alcohol, Goof Off, acetone or similar solvents. You can also try just spraying some of the product onto a clean microfiber towel, using enough to get an area of the towel pretty wet, and use that to break down the existing coating and fully wipe off the excess. The solvents in the carrier ingredients should be enough to break down the existing application and allow you to remove it.

    When properly applied, Brake Dust Barrier won't wash off with soap and water or even with a wheel cleaner. The products mentioned above are solvents, not mere cleaners, so they'll break it down and remove it.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  6. #86
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Katy Texas
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Yes, you can fix it. First off, try just spraying a second coat over the first one you have - that should level it out once it dries and cures, which should be in an hour or so. If that doesn't do it then you can remove the existing coating with either some isopropyl alcohol, Goof Off, acetone or similar solvents. You can also try just spraying some of the product onto a clean microfiber towel, using enough to get an area of the towel pretty wet, and use that to break down the existing coating and fully wipe off the excess. The solvents in the carrier ingredients should be enough to break down the existing application and allow you to remove it.

    When properly applied, Brake Dust Barrier won't wash off with soap and water or even with a wheel cleaner. The products mentioned above are solvents, not mere cleaners, so they'll break it down and remove it.
    I will try respraying this weekend and post the results, if it stops raining long enough.

  7. #87
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,392
    Rep Power
    1136

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Watch for any residual water, whether that be from washing or rain. The wheels must be completely dry before spraying this product to avoid clouding. Mixing this with some water run off can cause that issue.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  8. #88
    Registered Member 79elcamino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    530
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Watch for any residual water, whether that be from washing or rain. The wheels must be completely dry before spraying this product to avoid clouding. Mixing this with some water run off can cause that issue.
    i think that is what happened to me, there are spots on my rim where it is white and no cleaning products removed it. its not hazy looking its white

  9. #89
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,392
    Rep Power
    1136

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    That can happen if some water gets trapped under it during application. You should be able to spray some of the product onto a microfiber towel, getting a small area of the towel fairly wet, and work it onto the wheel surface to break down and remove what you applied earlier. Wipe off any residue before it dries, then recoat the wheel.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  10. #90
    Registered Member rqk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

    If you don't use a tire dressing afterwards, should you mask the tires before using Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier or will in not cause spots if some gets on the tires?

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Brake Dust Embedded into my Rims
    By wildfoxsr in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
  2. brake dust
    By davidlapos in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
  3. BAD brake dust.
    By dietoremain in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
  4. Brake Dust
    By Dave D in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 15th, 2004, 03:42 AM
  5. Brake caliper cleaning (brake dust)
    By MattN03 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr 11th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •