• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Removal

I didn't know where to post this, so I dropped it here.
    I recently had to relocate to Missouri from Florida's Gulf Coast. This has caused me an issue. I now have to endure winter's and without out a garage. Does anyone have a technique for removing snow safely from a car?
    Thanks
    Rick

Re: Snow Removal

Leaving a skim coat behind on the car to blow off is the best option.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Just remember, snow AIN'T soft! Meaning, as snow falls it drags all the nasties down (tiny dirt particles ect) with it. Wiping ALL the snow off can and will mar the finish.

As Murr said, leaveing a 'skin layer' is a good practice.

Just to add...I HATE winter...

Bill

Comment

As a lifelong snowbelt resident I have over 50 years of winter experiences dealing with this issue. I'd suggest that you do everything that you can to avoid letting snow accumulate on the car. Rent a garage, park in covered ramps when possible. Still you can't avoid all snow and as been mentioned it can and often will cause marring. IMO, it is important to keep your car as clean as possible in the winter. Consider this, when your car is dirty and a layer of snow falls on it, then you push it off and it slides the dirt over the paint on its way off...marring will occur. Or, you start up your car and it warms and the snow starts to melt and to slide off, again rubbing any dirt against the paint...marring will occur.

You are probably also facing the problem of how to keep your car clean in the winter. I don't have a a heated garage so I've resorted to using a Touch-less Laser Car Wash during winters and have not observed any adverse reaction. Some use Waterless or Rinseless wash products but I don't trust them on a heavily soiled car and if you drive on salted roads and freeways I think you may agree, they are too filthy to use these products safely. They also don't flush the undercarriage.

I have winter prepped my cars and applied two coats of sealant and topped with a coat of #16. I use the Laser Car Wash, then wipe down with a QD and lots of MF towels. I then add a coat of UQW and I'm good for a week. I was able to negotiate a season package with the owner of the local Laser Wash where I bought 16 codes for the Deluxe Wash for $50. FWIW, the Deluxe wash included the underbody flush but not their wax. I didn't want their spray wax all over my glass and vinyl.

Obviously a Touch-less Laser Wash is not as good as a two bucket hand wash but it is immensely better than doing nothing at all and it doesn't mar the paint.

A final option to consider... put your car in storage and buy a winter beater.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by c5rick View Post
          I didn't know where to post this, so I dropped it here.
          I recently had to relocate to Missouri from Florida's Gulf Coast. This has caused me an issue. I now have to endure winter's and without out a garage. Does anyone have a technique for removing snow safely from a car?
          Thanks
          Where are you moving in Missouri? The northern half of the state generally has cold snowy winters, but the southern half is generally pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornercarver View Post
            Where are you moving in Missouri? The northern half of the state generally has cold snowy winters, but the southern half is generally pretty nice.
            About 35 miles southwest of you... Washington
            Rick

Comment

The large problem comes when you let the snow accumulate over night. As the morning sun warms the car and everything else, the top layer of snow melts then refreezes. Expect at times, over an inch of a frozen slush to be on your car with more, soft snow, below it.
              Ahhh, Missouri Winter.
              Get your ice scrapers ready.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');