• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant Review

I started this detail with a nice wash using NXT Car Wash. I followed up drying with MF Weave Towels and examined the car to decide which cleaner and polish to use.

The car has very heavy swirls and badly needed something to help it. I chose to use Meg's #83 with my PC set on 4. I gave the whole car a nice coat and removed with MF towels. This product was very hard to remove and left a lot of dried "dust" residue. I then had to wipe down the car with a damp MF towels to pick up the dust.

Once the car was completely dry again, I broke out the #21. I set the PC at 3.5 and worked the product slowly. It went on as smooth as butter and the PC just glided very easily. The only drawback was that it was hard for me to see how much I had on the car. Since the car was black, I don't think it would have been any easier to see on my silver truck. I have a similar gripe with the NXT. I allowed the product to dry for about 20 min. in 65F weather, breezy. I then used a Viper MF bonnet to remove the wax with my PC set a 5. This product removes great! Just like NXT. After working very hard to remove the #83, I really appreciated how easy it was to remove the #21. If only ALL Meg's product's were this easy, I'd be in heaven!

As a personal opinion, #21 seemed to have given a bit more shine(brightness) than the NXT Tech Wax. I will still need to apply an additional coat tomorrow.

After removing all the product with the MF bonnet and PC, I followed up with a complete wipe-down using the Ultimate Wipe.

A big thanks to Mike and Meguiar's for allowing me to sample this new product. I highly recommend it and will probably buy some as soon as I run out of my NXT Tech Wax.

Pictures are below...

Dirty...

The Remedy....

Comment

Clean...

Comment

Comment

Wow,
          That's a big difference, nice job!

I have a bottle sitting here just waiting to be used. Hopefully it will be warm enough and dry that I can use it on my car. I did wash the wifes Grand Prix on Saturday and noticed that when it had snowed a couple weeks ago, she cleaned the snow off the top of the car with a broom which left scratches that stood out after I washed the car. I used 80 and my PC with a polishing pad and it removed the scratches, I then just hand applied 21 on the hood, top and trunk and I did have a little trouble with it smearing, but it was like 50 outside and I was pressed for time.

I am waiting to give 21 a fair test as soon as the weather and time permits, I will also take some pics this time.

Again,
          Nice work!

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom! Appreciate the comment.

I didn't have any trouble with the 21, only the 83.

The 83 wouldn't remove with a MF bonnet or a terry bonnet. I had to do it all by hand. I especially had a hard time removing the 83 where it was exposed to some direct sunlight, it smeared and took FOREVER to rub off.

Again, as for the 21, I give 2

Hope this review helped.

Comment

WOW!!! Looks Great!!! I think your pictures and review of the #21 just sold me on picking some up. I was looking for some of the Viper MF bonnets do you know where I could pick some up. Again Your car looks Great!!!

Comment

Great work, write up, and pics. Very nice! I never would guess that's a reflection off a car!!

Comment

I found the Viper bonnets at properautocare.com

Thank you for choosing Autopia Car Care for all your auto detailing needs. Autopia Car Care is home to the best car wax, car polishes, and detailing supplies available

Again, thanks for the compliments.

Thanks for adjusting my pic scrub!

Comment

No problem.

Lets talk about the #83. What was your procedure for application with #83? I know speed was on 4, but what about arm speed, down force, and length of time to work in?

This winter I had some problems removing #80. In the summer I had zero problems removing. That told me it was either climate or technique. Well the removal problem didn't happen all the time on the same car so it had to be my technique. I was skimping on the amount of time to work in the polish. I corrected that and the problem was reduced.

Hope you find this helpful. Great work!

Comment

I was using a regular polishing pad and I worked the product from it being white and heavy when it first hit the paint, until it had begun to get clear and hazy as I continued to work it. I was using a pretty moderate amount of pressure and was moving the PC slowly.

Whenever I tried to remove it with the terry bonnet, It smeared and left what looked like scratches on the paint. It seemed to have collected and dug right into the paint. It was very hard to remove this buildup with a MF towel and I had to rub a lot. The Viper bonnet wouldn't remove it either. Did I let it dry too long? It almost had a tackiness to it and just wouldn't come of with even moderate amount of pressure. I was buffing as hard as I could. I live by the beach and the temp here is around 65 and breezy. I thought #16 was tough to get off, but this was a bear!

The 83 gave off a lot of dust and it seemed to come off easier when you were moving a lot of the dust in the towel to take off the surrounding polish (If that makes sense)

Comment

How big of an area did you work? Sounds like your technique was good.

Another point would be if you used the bonnet to remove the bonnet might have been filled up with product so it was smearing because of that. I haven't used a bonnet to remove polish. I use the ult wipe for that.

Did you let the polish dry? The nap of the terry should have aided in removal.

You could try to spritz the tougher to remove areas with quick detail spray. I have heard DACP #83 is kind of gummy to use and requires higher speeds to ensure break down. So if we add in slower speed with a terry bonnet for removal those might be the areas that caused the removal problem.

Just throwin ideas out there.

Comment

Hey,

Beautiful paint!! Awesome reflections!!!!

Do you have any full-on sun shots?

As for the #83, if it is not worked long enough, too much product or an over saturated pad, it can be difficult to wipe off. The main thing is generally not working it long enough. You will need to increase your buffer speed to #5 and work the product until only a light dust/residue remains. This may take 3-5 minutes for 2'x2' area. The product will then wipe off real easily!

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim.

I'll try and take a full-on sun shot tomorrow.

From listening to you and scrub I think I: A)may not have worked the 83 long enough or B) used to much product. I think it was a combo of appliying it a little heavy and then not working it long enough.

One other point I'd like to add is that one particular area that was extremely tough to remove was exposed to direct sunlight as it dried. I noticed the rest of the car, while hard to remove, wasn't as tough as that one spot that dried in the sun. Would that make a differece?

Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

No problem for the help.

Yep the sun contributed too. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');