• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windshield smudges. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windshield smudges. help!

I just had a new windshield installed on my suv. I have always used Rain X on all my vehicles, but I have a huge problem. I washed and cleaned my new windshield and then applied Rain X. It's fine for a few weeks and then here is what happens. Big smudges show up while the wipers go left to right and then the smudges go away. But as the wipers work the smudges appear. How can I completely and safely remove Rain X off of my windshield? I am afraid to drive my family and kids at night like this because I cannot see we're I'm driving. The Rain X bottle is 3 yrs old. Could that be the issue? What else can I use in place of Rain X.

Please help!

Re: windshield smudges. help!

If I were you, I would clay it, or even use a polish or compound on it since I am sure that would remove any wax/rainX/coatings on the windshield.

Comment

Agree with above.

Once you've done that, UQW works well in place of RainX at repelling water and dirt.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Here's what Rain X tells me. Let me know what you think.

1. Rain-X Xtreme Clean (Can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Pep Boys,
        Uni-Select, Amazon.com, Coast Auto, Fred Meyer, Meijer, Speedco)
        2. Soft Scrub with NO bleach (Product will not state no bleach, you
        need
        to purchase the one that will state "With Baking Soda Cleanser" or
        "Lemon Cleanser"

Comment

What should I spray on the windshield before claying?

Comment

What else can I instead of uqw or rain X? I just don't prefer adding uqw on the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by dinosaur1 View Post
              What should I spray on the windshield before claying?
              You need to wash the windscreen first - while you're washing the whole car if you like.

Then you spray QD on the windscreen WHILE you're claying (not before).
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

What else can I instead of uqw or rain X? I just don't prefer adding uqw on the windshield.
                You don't really have to use anything if you keep the car/windscreen clean.

However, I have waxed my windscreen with NXT before with success. So if you like, you can polish or clay the windscreen (as above) then apply NXT 2.0 or (I dare say) your favourite sealant or wax will work fine.

Comment

I recently have had to replace the windshield and the drivers front window on one of the family vehicles. After the installation, I cleaned both the inner & outer surfaces thoroughly with the D-120 Glass Cleaner and then clayed the outer surfaces to remove contaminants. After inspecting the surfaces in full sunlight for remaining residue and finding none, I treated the outer sides with Aquapel.

Comment

Is the claybar safe to use on the paint after using it on the windshield?

Comment

Isn't aquapel just a one time treatment and then you basically throw it away?

Comment

I used UD along with claybar and then some UQW. Looks like it did the trick. I'll keep everyone posted when it rains the next time.

Comment

Is the claybar safe to use on the paint after using it on the windshield?
                          Yes, definitely safe to go from windshield to paint. Anything on the windshield will also be on the paint. As to the OP: Did you replace your wiped blades recently? If not this may also be contributing to the smudging. I recently replaced my original blades after 2.5 years of service. Glass sealants like Rain-X , Aqua-Pel, etc mean less use of the blades. I had an issue like you describe and only after replacing the blades did it go away.
                          2014 Cadillac ATS4 Performance in White Diamond Tricoat. It's loaded with everything but frickin' lasers!

Comment

I scrub my blades with window cleaner to take off whatever junk is on them normally. But I'll definitely replace them if this still happens.

Comment

btw should I replace my wipers? Everything seems to be working great so far but I noticed when the wipers go left to right it seems to fog up and go away after a second or two. I'll replace the blades to be safe, but now I don't know if I should clay again after I replace them.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');