• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing plan for next year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing plan for next year.

Wash and Dry
    Clay Bar
    Swirl Remover 2.0
    Ulitimate Polish
    Cleaner Wax
    Gold Class Caranuba Plus or Mothers Pure Caranuba

How do this sound to you guys for my black car?

Re: Waxing plan for next year.

Next year, as in January or as in June??

Daily driver or sits in a garage over winter?

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

Sounds like a good plan.

Can I ask why the Swirl Remover 2.0 instead of the more popular SwirlX/ScratchX/UC?
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
        Next year, as in January or as in June??

Daily driver or sits in a garage over winter?
        May or June sits in garage over winter i don't think 18 inch summer tires will do very well in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
          Sounds like a good plan.

Can I ask why the Swirl Remover 2.0 instead of the more popular SwirlX/ScratchX/UC?
          I got it on sale so i figure use it up first and i found it easier to remove.

Comment

Which meguiars product do you think has the most caranuba? That is why i have the mothers pure caranuba it seems to give it the dark deep look.

Comment

Too many redundant steps, polaris. Choose either Ultimate Polish or M09, but you don't need both. And if you are using either UP or M09, you don't need to use Cleaner Wax. Simply go with the Gold Class Carnauba. Thus:

Wash & Dry
              Clay Bar
              Ultimate Polish or Swirl Remover 2.0
              Gold Class Carnauba Wax (two coats)
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

The ultimate polish does not seem to cut swirls as good as the swirl remover.
                I do agree with skipping the cleaner wax now that i look at it.

Comment

Are you working by hand or machine?

Bill

Never mind...I just realized this is the 'By Hand' section.

Comment

polaris, M09 is one of the very mildest of Meguiar's cleaning polishes, and when applied by hand, I doubt it is removing any swirls whatsoever. It is, however, rich in Megs' trade secret oils, so it may well be temporarily hiding some of your swirls. In any case, choose either M09 or Ultimate Polish, as each will accomplish basically the same thing: each will remove previously applied wax and will clean the paint in preparation for a fresh layer of wax. But when applied by hand, do not expect either to actually level the paint (i.e., remove swirls).
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Yup, I agree with Al. Look at it this way:

Quick Detail:

1. Wash
                      2. Clay if needed
                      3. Cleaner/wax or ColorX
                      4. Wax

Full Detail:
                      1. Wash
                      2. Clay
                      3. Clean - Ult. Polish for mild cleaning. Something like Ult. Compound for defects, etc, perhaps followed by the Ult. Polish.
                      4. Wax
                      5. Wax
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                        polaris, M09 is one of the very mildest of Meguiar's cleaning polishes, and when applied by hand, I doubt it is removing any swirls whatsoever. It is, however, rich in Megs' trade secret oils, so it may well be temporarily hiding some of your swirls. In any case, choose either M09 or Ultimate Polish, as each will accomplish basically the same thing: each will remove previously applied wax and will clean the paint in preparation for a fresh layer of wax. But when applied by hand, do not expect either to actually level the paint (i.e., remove swirls).
                        Maybe try m205 for swirls.

Comment

polaris, if you really are concerned to remove swirls and defects, then you should seriously consider investing in a dual action polisher. Leveling paint (and that's what swirl removal is, namely, the removal and leveling of paint) by hand ain't impossible, especially if you are using a strong polish like Ultimate Compound; but it's time-consuming, exhausting, inefficient work. In my opinion, it just ain't worth it.

I have a black car, too. I know how those swirls pop out at you in the bright sun, especially if you examine the paint too closely. With a machine polisher, you can remove those swirls and get it looking perfect, even under the examination of a Brinkman lamp. But ... those pesky swirls soon return. I wash my vehicle as best as I can using the two-bucket method and high quality microfiber towels and avoid touching the paint otherwise ... but the swirls return! It's infuriating! I think that most black car owners can testify to the frustration. It's just not possible to keep a daily driver swirl free. Hence we need to lower our expectations and not to examine our black cars too closely. If your black car looks good when you are standing three feet away, rejoice and be happy.

As far as M205, you may or may not see improved performance in your hand polishing over either M09 or Ultimate Polish. It all depends on the hardness of your paint. The paint of my Honda S2000 is pretty soft, so it does respond to M205 when applied by my D/A; but it does not respond well to hand polishing. As Mat has suggested, if you really want to attempt swirl removal, purchase a bottle of Ultimate Compound. Do a TEST SPOT. Use a foam applicator pad. Examine the spot closely and see if you are getting the desired amount of paint correction. It may leave some hazing. If so, follow-up with Ultimate Polish. Don't polish the rest of the car until you can get the TEST SPOT looking perfect.

Good luck!
                          --Al Kimel

Comment

The hazing with the ultimate compound concerns me maybe i'll try my list the car looks pretty good from two feet away i guess i'll be happy with that. it aint perfect but its okay. Thanks for the help maybe i try ulitmate compound on my older car that has deeper swirls!

Comment

You shouldnt be concerned when using UC by hand. If you were using a machine then I could understand your concern. Some paint can be very sensitve to aggressive products while other not so much. Like you said, if you feel more comfortable using the older car to practice your technique on that would be great and you can see the progress without being in fear of damaging your newer car.

When you start on the older car, wash it and clay it like you normally would and then put a piece of tape down the middle of the hood. On one side of the tape line take Ultimate polish and work the surface with a firm hand and wipe the polish off. On the adjacent sidee do the same thing but use a fresh applicator pad and Ultimate compound and use a firm hand again. When finshed wipe the polish off and remove the tape line. Next pull the car into the sunlight (if it out) our use a light such as the brinkman swirl finder and look for the difference between the two. You will find that the UC will drastically reduce or remove the swirls compared to UP and even more so than what's under the tape line. You will also discover the paint will be clearer looking on the side which was prepped with UC.
                              Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                              2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                              2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');