• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TERRY CLOTH Vs. CHAMOIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am defintely hooked on the new Water Magnet. One towel can dry an entire car, probably two entires cars, without being rung out most times. Unbelievable.
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

California Waterblade and Terrry cloth or Mircofiber towel to finish.

Comment

Two weeks ago, I bought 2 of the Water Magnets at Advanced Auto Parts. Before purchasing, I popped around MOL to see what others reractions were and decided to try them. The first time I used them I was fully convinced that I would not go to anything else(used Micro Fiber Towels before that). I typically leaf blow the nooks, cranies and tires first. followed with the Water Magnet to completely dry the vehicle. A neighbor was watching me dry at the time and saw the results and he went over to the same store and picked one up too. I already have washed them (in the washing machine) a couple of times and they seem to be un-effected and keep on sucking up the water.
        Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

I got the Meguair's water magnet. The only thing is about it, it really doesn't soak up alot of water. It get's some of it but not all of it. So I guess have to get another Meguair's water magnet . And wipe the car again.

Comment

I'm using a synthetic chamois for now.

One thing I like to do when drying a car, is to keep a bucket of fresh water on hand to dunk the chamois in after a wipe or two.

Believe it or not, but the water gets slightly dirty near the end of drying the car.

Must be dust that settles onto the finish after rinsing.
            r. b.

Comment

i use an absorber then followed by the water magnet ..

Watch me go crazy silly fresh.

Comment

I have used an Absorber for years. It works well and is durable, and as long as you know what you are doing, it won't cause any surface problems ime.
                Bama

Comment

I voted water magnet.

My method for drying a car changes depending on the level of service needed.

If claying I don't dry at all. I'll leave the water on the vehicle then add clay lube and clay on. After I clay a panel I'll dry the panel with two Ultimate wipes.

Other methods I'm trying.

1. WW with Last Touch Detail spray (50/50 with water, clay lube ratio). I really like the look after drying with the WW and Last Touch.

2. Air Wand and WW. This does a good job of eliminating water runs down the vehicle.

3. Super Suede. I just used this product a few weeks ago. It's moving up the list and might pass the WW soon, I think. Very good product.

I didn't care for the natural chamois from Megs. Seemed to leave a film behind.

Great topic by the way!

Comment

Does the water magnet drag like the absorber? I hate how the absorber drags againest the paint, escalating more effort.

Comment

Nope, “the Water Magnet” and other waffle weave microfiber towels glide much better than “the Absorber” (which is a PVA sponge type “chamois”) or terry weave microfiber towels.

If you like the absorption of PVA sponge “chamois” there are some waffle patterned (molded, not woven) ones out there that drag much less than “the Absorber”. I have one called “Ultra Touch” and I think Griot’s might sell one too.

PC.

Comment

I go for the Leaf Blower. I have a honda and their paint is pretty soft. I try to avoid touchingit is much as possible. Once I blow it down very well I do break out a Quick Detail Pad and a QD and wipe her down. I do keep a WM around for the errant drip though.
                        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Until yesterday, I was an absorber user, but after trying the Mequiars water magnet, im hooked.
                          I dried my roomates entire RSX with it and it basically just felt damp....didnt have to wring it out once.

Comment

I switch between my WW and my Absorber. I voted for the absorber because I feel like it get more water off the surface of the car without making more passes. WW is good, but doesnt seem to really cut it with me. I still use it though.

Comment

Nothing beats the Meg's Water Magnet, . . . to me that is
                              I just love detailing

Comment

I use a water blade to get most of the water off then follow up with a Meguiar's Water Magnet
                                Rides 1967 mustang fastback 429 4 speed
                                1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2
                                2002 Honda GL1800
                                2011 Honda Pilot
                                2013 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');