• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a professional exterior detail at dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a professional exterior detail at dealership?

Well..I have had fine success removing swirls and whatnot from my black car with Meguiar's DA Polisher and M105. I normally don't even have to use anything after M105 if used with DA polisher, it's gentle enough, I can then go right to wax.

However...it's so hard to do the entire car, and I have to battle dust the entire time. It just doesn't look as good as it should, and the one thing I've never been good at is polishing tight and small areas, like A pillar, around license plate, etc.

Therefore, I inquired at the dealership. I could get an "upgraded" Exterior Detail for about $240, which they claim would include contamination removal (claying?), 3 steps of compounding, 3 steps of polishing, wax, and a spray wax. Doesn't this seem a little hard to believe for $240 though? If they really did all that, it seems like it would come out nice?

It would be 8 hours of work.

Do you think I should go for it? I don't mind polishing out my hood sometimes, but again, it's all those small areas, and trying to get the job all done in a day, I just don't have a good area to do it either.

I then wonder if they could screw up the paint somehow, but hopefully not. Any thoughts? I sure never thought I'd need to turn to pros, but it would be amazing to go pick up the car, if it really came out gorgeous. Of course, a dealership may not really be "pros," but even a body shop recommended this dealer to me as having a good detailing shop. And...I would get to drive a Mercedes rental car while they worked on it, which is nice compared to an independent where I'd have to arrange my own rental car and someone to drop me off, etc.

Re: Should I get a professional exterior detail at dealership?

ehh I wouldnt

I would find a mobile detailer in your area

Dealerships do not treat employees very well
    respect and pay thus they have little incentive to really work that hard on it

They are also typically rushed

O ya, ask me how I know...

Comment

Originally posted by Bjkearns View Post
      ehh I wouldnt

I would find a mobile detailer in your area

Dealerships do not treat employees very well
      respect and pay thus they have little incentive to really work that hard on it

They are also typically rushed

O ya, ask me how I know...
      Thanks. I won't be finding a mobile detailer though. I have to drive 2 hours for the dealership!

Sadly, I completely get what you're saying. I might have to live with this swirled up mess.

Comment

Why no mobile detailing?

Dont just live with swirled paint
        There are qualified detailers all across the country

both mobile and stationary

Comment

Why no mobile detailing?

Dont just live with swirled paint
          There are qualified detailers all across the country

both mobile and stationary
          Too small of an area, thats why the dealership is even 2 hours away.

And even if I found a mobile one to drive that far, they'd face the same thing as me at home, battling winds/dirt, etc.

Comment

Well that leaves you with a couple choices

DIY
            Dealer
            Find a detailer in a larger town
            Leave it

Comment

Well that leaves you with a couple choices

DIY
              Dealer
              Find a detailer in a larger town
              Leave it

If I decide to torture myself and do DIY again, may I ask you a question?

The last time I detailed my cars M105/M205 were still the two big name/top choices from Meguiar's? I often only needed the M105 though by itself, the Mercedes paint is hard enough that with a Yellow pad, it just seemed perfect to remove swirls and leave nice finish before whatever wax or sealant I chose on the given day.

Has anything changed? Has anything replaced these?

Thanks.

Comment

ya 105 and 205 are still widely used and in the bag of trick of many detailers

If you are considering other options you might want to check out the microfiber DA set

Comment

Definitely do it yourself, you'll save money and get better results

Comment

Well, I listened to you guys. I did some detailing today even though the weather is going to turn bad. At least some of the polishing is still helpful.

I focused on hard to get to areas, spoiler, around license plate, as well as all the large horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, and boot lid).

I will do vertical surfaces on another day. THis worked out ok since I had clayed horizontal surfaces just a week ago.

A good bit came out "ok."

I have one bit that drives me crazy, between boot lid and spoiler, there are scratches where debris has accumulated, only visible with some light at angle, but pretty bad. Even my 4-inch pads, cannot get in there enough to get these out.

I finished off the entire car with some M21 sealant. On the horizontal surfaces, it feels amazing.

Well, it probably didn't accomplish all my goals of getting all my swirls out and whatnot, but it wasn't bad for the car.

I still think it would be fun to show up after a day and pick up a shiny car finished top to bottom.

Comment

Dealerships are the last place to expect a quality detail from.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I have a buddy who got a good detail at his car dealership.

They had an independent mobile guy come in once a week to fix the stuff their in-house guys screwed up.

pc.

Comment

"However...it's so hard to do the entire car, and I have to battle dust the entire time. It just doesn't look as good as it should, and the one thing I've never been good at is polishing tight and small areas, like A pillar, around license plate, etc."

If you're having trouble finding a reputable mobile detailer in your area and you have to drive 2 hours to the dealership to have them detail it then I would say do it yourself. Do a panel at a time. If you're having problems with dusting from the M105 maybe you can try Ultimate compound. In the tight spots just use your M105 with a yellow foam applicator. Take your time so you can see results you'll be happy with.
                          Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                          www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                          Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');