• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Stage Paint - 5 Step Cycle - Paint Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Stage Paint - 5 Step Cycle - Paint Cleaning

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and a newbie in regards to car detailing. 6 months ago, I acquired ownership of a 1993 Saab 900 Commemorative Edition (last batch of the classic 900 hatchbacks made before GM's influence) with black, single-stage paint and am wondering how best to care for it. I'll try to post pics soon, but basically, it's in pretty good shape already - no scratches or major swirl issues - (Although I have heard that single stage paints don't reveal swirl marks as much as CC's do?) At any rate, I can't see any... Its previous owner took good care of it.

Unfortunately, when I first got the car, I witnessed it get dinged in a parking lot by a white colored car door that left a white mark, diameter of a quarter, but splatter-shaped, on the passenger door panel, smooth to the touch. I assumed it was transferred paint from the offending car (it was a very elderly lady and couldn't bring myself to give her any heat- she literally must have been 90.) I attempted ScratchX 2.0 on it by hand in the shade and not only did it not remove any of the white mark, it expanded it, as if there was white under the black.. And there was a lot of black paint residue on my applicator pad. I did not rub too vigorously either, and only for a minute before suddenly halting as I realized what was happening. This panel has since been professional restored so its no longer an issue, just wanted to mention how my cars' paint responded so sensitively to ScratchX 2.0.

I want to perform the complete 5-stage paint care cycle regularly on this car. Are single stage paints more "fragile" in regards to clearcoated paint b/c they lack a clearcoat on top of them - at least in regards to using rubbing compound? Is there a basic, gentle paint cleaner to use after claying and before polishing that I ought to use? I already own a bottle of Ultimate Compound but I fear that is too harsh for my single stage black paint that doesn't even have any significant scratches/swirls. Should I skip the Cleaning Stage/Stage 2 altogether? I do own a bottle of Ultimate Polish that should bring out the beauty in this black paint - and it does have a marginal cutting ability, right? I'm just so afraid of doing something wrong to this car and I want to ensure I'm doing the right thing before trying anything... I know the importance of doing a Test Spot before doing the whole car too, I will certainly do that. I'd like to try to get the Test Spot right too though!

Here is a complete list of what I own and please let me know what I'm missing or what to avoid, if you could... FYI all work will be done by hand.

MEG Gold Class Car Shampoo/Conditioner - w/ wash mitts, buckets, drying towels, etc
    MEG Clay Bar Kit w/ QD
    MEG Ultimate Compound (skip? use something else? just use polish?)
    MEG Ultimate Polish
    MEG Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax (I want to switch to Ultimate Wax b/c I hear it won't stain trim - of which there is a lot on this car)
    MEG Ultimate Quick Detailer (daily)
    MEG Ultimate Quick Wax (for in-between waxings)
    MEG Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Spray
    MEG All-Wheel Cleaner Spray - I would like to get metal polish for the wheels and perhaps some tire shine stuff.
    I'd also like to get the MEG Ultimate Dash/Trim Protectant for interior dash/etc and exterior trim (is that the best choice?)

Thank you in advance!

JS

Re: Single Stage Paint - 5 Step Cycle - Paint Cleaning

I attempted ScratchX 2.0 on it by hand in the shade and not only did it not remove any of the white mark, it expanded it, as if there was white under the black.. And there was a lot of black paint residue on my applicator pad. I did not rub too vigorously either, and only for a minute before suddenly halting as I realized what was happening. This panel has since been professional restored so its no longer an issue, just wanted to mention how my cars' paint responded so sensitively to ScratchX 2.0.
    Would have liked to have seen that.

The black on your pad is quite normal, any single stage paint will do this.

Perhaps the white was real thick, and smeared a bit at first. Hard to say.
    I want to perform the complete 5-stage paint care cycle regularly on this car. Are single stage paints more "fragile" in regards to clearcoated paint b/c they lack a clearcoat on top of them - at least in regards to using rubbing compound? Is there a basic, gentle paint cleaner to use after claying and before polishing that I ought to use?
    Probably more durable really.

Generally you would have a strong cleaner (like Ultimate Compound) and a mild cleaner ( like SwirLX or Ult. Polish) on your shelf, and use which ever is appropriate. You may also have a cleaner/wax type product, which will tend to be mild as well.

I already own a bottle of Ultimate Compound but I fear that is too harsh for my single stage black paint that doesn't even have any significant scratches/swirls. Should I skip the Cleaning Stage/Stage 2 altogether? I do own a bottle of Ultimate Polish that should bring out the beauty in this black paint - and it does have a marginal cutting ability, right?
    If the paint doesnt need a strong product, then it doesnt need it, and you just use something milder. The Ult. Polish would be a good starting point.

I'm just so afraid of doing something wrong to this car and I want to ensure I'm doing the right thing before trying anything... I know the importance of doing a Test Spot before doing the whole car too, I will certainly do that. I'd like to try to get the Test Spot right too though!
    You'll survive...

Here is a complete list of what I own and please let me know what I'm missing or what to avoid, if you could... FYI all work will be done by hand.

MEG Gold Class Car Shampoo/Conditioner - w/ wash mitts, buckets, drying towels, etc Grit Guards
    MEG Clay Bar Kit w/ QD May want extra QD
    MEG Ultimate Compound (skip? use something else? just use polish?) Yeah, skip if not needed
    MEG Ultimate Polish Yes, this would be a good mild cleaner/polish. SwirLX would be a touch stronger if it seemed like you needed it.
    You may enjoy trying #7 Show Car Glaze at some point. It would be used after a cleaner, or cleaner/polish
    MEG Gold Class Liquid Carnauba Wax (I want to switch to Ultimate Wax b/c I hear it won't stain trim - of which there is a lot on this car) Could be a good idea
    MEG Ultimate Quick Detailer (daily) The QD sprays are for light dust. You'll have ot judge what your car gets on it in a day. However, if you are going to use a lot, you'll want to look at #135.
    MEG Ultimate Quick Wax (for in-between waxings) If you plan to QD then UQW a lot, you could probably just buy a reagulr QD spray in bulk. UQD is a bit expensive to cover right over anyway. The regular QD could then be used for claying also.
    MEG Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Spray
    MEG All-Wheel Cleaner Spray - I would like to get metal polish for the wheels and perhaps some tire shine stuff.Are the wheels bare metal?
    I'd also like to get the MEG Ultimate Dash/Trim Protectant for interior dash/etc and exterior trim (is that the best choice?) The spray would probably be easier to use inside. I like the Supreme Shine myself, but just personal choice. For the exterior trim, you would want one of the Ult. Protectant products. You can also UQW over the trim along the way.
    See red.

Be sure to get plenty of the Smooth Foam Applicators, and MF towels.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'd recommend adding two items to your arsenal: M07 Show Car Glaze and M80 Speed Glaze.
      Also, take the time to read this article for the best process for SS paint I've ever used: http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...sationId=21363

Bill

Comment

Both!

Comment

Maybe I can ask a couple questions here re: SS paint job.
          I have one and it's not that thick.
          It was painted the end of May and it has been maintained since.
          I use UQD, UQW, NT2.0...the paint still feels like glass when I run my finger over.
          I am hesitant to use a lot of these products because of the thickness of the paint.
          I'm even worried about claying it, although since it feels like glass i don't think it's necessary, is it?

What products are safe for a paint job like mine that will improve the look safely?

Comment

Maybe I can ask a couple questions here re: SS paint job.
            No

I have one and it's not that thick.
            It was painted the end of May and it has been maintained since.
            If it is fresh, how do you know it is not thick? Or why wasnt it sprayed thick, etc?

I use UQD, UQW, NT2.0...the paint still feels like glass when I run my finger over.
            I am hesitant to use a lot of these products because of the thickness of the paint.
            I'm even worried about claying it, although since it feels like glass i don't think it's necessary, is it?
            What products are safe for a paint job like mine that will improve the look safely?
            Clay is about the mildest thing you can do, so that is perfectly safe. If you never have, it is probably worth it. It goes quick if it doesnt need it, and the clay is re-useable.

Are you working by hand?

Something like Ult. Polish, or #9/#82 would be very mild cleaners by hand, just for dirt really. And rich with oils that SS paints like. And then you can wax after.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              No

OK

If it is fresh, how do you know it is not thick? Or why wasnt it sprayed thick, etc?

My body shop guy, who didn't paint this car but sent it out told me.

Clay is about the mildest thing you can do, so that is perfectly safe. If you never have, it is probably worth it. It goes quick if it doesnt need it, and the clay is re-useable.

Will it remove paint? I use it with UD correct?

Are you working by hand?

Yep

Something like Ult. Polish, or #9/#82 would be very mild cleaners by hand, just for dirt really. And rich with oils that SS paints like. And then you can wax after.

Which is the is the mildest? The paint really looks good and feels very healthy.

Thanks

Comment

No, clay wont remove paint. It glides over the paint, with some sort of spray, etc acting as the lubricant.

In the Consumer Line, you would use the QD (not UQD). Or something like Last Touch or Final Inspection if buying in bulk.

The mildest thing would really be the Consumer Line Cleaner/Wax. Using Cleaner/Wax followed by Nxt is a good detail.

The Cleaner/Wax just wont have quite as much of the polishing oils as the other products. And if your car is out in the sun/heat, making sure it gets them every so often can be a good idea. Out of the cleaner/polishes I mentioned above, the Ult. Polish is probably mildest.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  In the Consumer Line, you would use the QD (not UQD). Or something like Last Touch or Final Inspection if buying in bulk.

The mildest thing would really be the Consumer Line Cleaner/Wax. Using Cleaner/Wax followed by Nxt is a good detail.

The Cleaner/Wax just wont have quite as much of the polishing oils as the other products. And if your car is out in the sun/heat, making sure it gets them every so often can be a good idea. Out of the cleaner/polishes I mentioned above, the Ult. Polish is probably mildest.

...and the polish also will not remove any paint? When I hear cleaner wax I think this might take paint, I'm probably wrong????

Thanks

Comment

it gets tricky with different companies, but for Meguiars a polish just means oils. So you would just be wiping oils around the paint to keep it moisturized.

Somethine like the Ult. Polish just has a little bit of cleaners with the oils, to help remove dirt from the surface.

Same with the Cleaner/Wax, just a little bit of cleaners to help remove dirt, then some polishing oils and some wax.

Applying them gently, just wiping around to apply the product like you would a skin lotion or something really wont remove any paint.

You would want to use a smooth foam applicator as well, to stay as mild as possible.

Comment

thanks. you just wipe it on and let it stay then?

Comment

No, with any product (cleaner, polish, wax) you would apply it and then remove the excess with a microfiber towel.

The waxes you would let dry then remove excess, the other products you would apply then remove before they dry.

Comment

Gotcha, I don't see this at my local auto parts stores, so I bet I have to order it?

As far as clean applicators, I have some generic foam yellow ones that are new.
                          I have some generic white mf ones that have been cleaned.
                          I have the purple one that came w/ my NXT 2.0, that's been used with it.

I think the MF apps are softer than the foam, or does that make THAT big of a difference... ?

Comment

It's at AutoZone and it does say to use the foam applicator pad.

Comment

I never really cared for the MF applicators, but some people like them.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');