• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything you can spray on the inside of wheels to PREVENT brake dust from sticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything you can spray on the inside of wheels to PREVENT brake dust from sticking?

I spent a few hours cleaning the inside of these old Mercedes wheels. Is there anything you can spray on that would prevent brake dust from sticking? I used Ultimate on the smooth areas but you can't apply that in the intricate places.

Re: Anything you can spray on the inside of wheels to PREVENT brake dust from stickin

Looks like a perfect candidate for Meguiar's new for 2012 Hot Wheels Brake Dust Barrier in aerosol form:

Auto Detailing Solutions has the 9oz cans available for $8.99 each.

Comment

Re: Anything you can spray on the inside of wheels to PREVENT brake dust from stickin

First I've seen it. Will have to try it.

Comment

you can put wax also but im sure the ^^^^ product will work better. just want sure the wheel is clean when you coat it

Comment

Remember to use a milder soap after putting a coating on, dont want to use the dedicated wheel type cleaners, which will be harder on the coatings.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

That wheel looks great. Can you explain your process/products briefly? I have tried to clean the inside of my wheels and have never been able to even come close to that.

Comment

Used a blasting cabinet with walnut shells.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Devlin View Post
                Looks like a perfect candidate for Meguiar's new for 2012 Hot Wheels Brake Dust Barrier in aerosol form:

Auto Detailing Solutions has the 9oz cans available for $8.99 each.
                #1 try it out.

Waxes don't last long on wheels, not only because of all the brake dust and road contaminants but heat generated by the brakes. I would try a synthetic sealant or a coating on the inside of a wheel.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Originally posted by inyadreems View Post
                  #1 try it out.

Waxes don't last long on wheels, not only because of all the brake dust and road contaminants but heat generated by the brakes.
                  You must be doing some major braking for the wheels themselves to get hot. The heat of the engine underneath, and the rays of the sun above on a 100F day will get a black hood hotter than any wheel should get.

Comment

Originally posted by atikovi View Post
                    You must be doing some major braking for the wheels themselves to get hot. The heat of the engine underneath, and the rays of the sun above on a 100F day will get a black hood hotter than any wheel should get.
                    It is combination of all the elements that will deteriorate the wax. I would go with a wax, sealant or coating geared specifically for wheels or a wax/sealant know to stand up to harsh elements like Collonite or Duragloss. Do an experiment and put a different wax or sealant on each wheel and see how long it lasts.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Opti-Coat, or one of the nano-coatings (CQuartz, AQuartz, etc) would be the best choices.
                      Francis

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');