• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange peel and wet sanding, Meguiar's buffing products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange peel and wet sanding, Meguiar's buffing products

I recently painted my 72 Skylark a midnight blue with Single Stage paint. Overall it looks nice, with the exception of the Orange Peel throughout the paint job. What I did so far (only on the trunk lid, as a trial) was I wet sanded it with 2500 grit paper.

After Wet-sanding, my midnight blue color car was a powder blue color. There were a few spots of darker color, indicating I did not wet sand completely smooth, but a majority of it was smooth.

Then used W7000 Foam Cutting Pad with Meguiar's Mirror Glaze medium cut cleaner, and finished it with Ultimate Compound.

After using the compounds, there was still orange peel and some haze.

What else can I do???????

Thanks

Ethan

Re: Orange peel and wet sanding, Meguiar's buffing products

Did you sand your paint by hand or with a D/A sander ? Machine sanding leaves much more even surface.

Normally after wet/ damp sanding rotary buffer with either wool or foam cutting pad is called to a scene to remove sanding marks (wool cuts faster). Aggressive compound is also needed to ensure all deeper tracers removal, like M105 Ultra Cut Compound. The other option on fresh paint is to use Meguiar's So1o System and M86 Cut & Polish Cream (also with a rotary buffer).

Make sure you leave paint surface even with orange peel effect fully removed. If needed step up to 1500-2000 grit sand paper.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      Did you sand your paint by hand or with a D/A sander ? Machine sanding leaves much more even surface.

Normally after wet/ damp sanding rotary buffer with either wool or foam cutting pad is called to a scene to remove sanding marks (wool cuts faster). Aggressive compound is also needed to ensure all deeper tracers removal, like M105 Ultra Cut Compound. The other option on fresh paint is to use Meguiar's So1o System and M86 Cut & Polish Cream (also with a rotary buffer).

Make sure you leave paint surface even with orange peel effect fully removed. If needed step up to 1500-2000 grit sand paper.

I sanded it be hand. I used the foam, because I didn't want to cut into the paint to fast (this is my first time using a buffer)

So I should:
      1- re-sand, basically making sure that the sanded area is uniform in color and texture.
      2-hit with a wool pad and ultra cut compound
      3-then move to foam pad and either the medium cut or ultimate compound

Comment

Step 1 - Sanding - to make your paint surface as even as possible to get perfect reflection and remove orange peel (wavey texture), many detailers start with 1500-2000 grid and then follow up with 2500-3000 for final step;

Step 2 - Sanding mark removal - best approach: rotary buffer with wool/ foam cutting pad (if foam used watch out for heat build up), M105 Ultra Cut Compound or M86 Cut & Polish Cream with So1o wool pad (burgundy or yellow); if rotary buffer can't be used - D/A polisher with M105;

Step 3 - Swirl removal/ Gloss restoration - aggressive compound may leave some swirls behind, M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish or M80 Speed Glaze with polishing pad should be used in this step (or M86 again with So1o diamond foam yellow pad);

Step 4 (Optional) - High gloss polishing/ Paint jeweling - either M205 Ultra Finishing Polish or M07 Show Car Glaze with finishing pad should be used;

Step 5 (after at least 30-60 days) - Protection/ Wax - fresh paint needs to fully out gas before applying wax/ sealant.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
          Step 1 - Sanding - to make your paint surface as even as possible to get perfect reflection and remove orange peel (wavey texture), many detailers start with 1500-2000 grid and then follow up with 2500-3000 for final step;

Step 2 - Sanding mark removal - best approach: rotary buffer with wool/ foam cutting pad (if foam used watch out for heat build up), M105 Ultra Cut Compound or M86 Cut & Polish Cream with So1o wool pad (burgundy or yellow); if rotary buffer can't be used - D/A polisher with M105;

Step 3 - Swirl removal/ Gloss restoration - aggressive compound may leave some swirls behind, M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish or M80 Speed Glaze with polishing pad should be used in this step (or M86 again with So1o diamond foam yellow pad);

Step 4 (Optional) - High gloss polishing/ Paint jeweling - either M205 Ultra Finishing Polish or M07 Show Car Glaze with finishing pad should be used;

Step 5 (after at least 30-60 days) - Protection/ Wax - fresh paint needs to fully out gas before applying wax/ sealant.

Thanks for the feed back. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully with some great pics too.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');