• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting up; looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up; looking for advice

Hello MOL! I have been a long time lurker on this forum and am looking for some advice for going pro. I don't live in a particularly affluent area (Bellingham, WA). It is essentially a college town with suburbia not too far away. The model I'm thinking is less "show car detailing" and more "wash/clay/aio" and then do an interior cleaning (something like shine/protect, vacuum, and stain removal). I have a steady job and am a student, so what I'm really looking to do is some service that I can perform in my garage on the weekends to fuel my detailing obsessions, develop my skills, and make a couple hundred dollars a month. My questions are:
    is this a viable starting out modEl?
    And
    are there any bits of wisdom the pros would recommend? I don't know anyone really in the detailing world and it is a bit intimidating to fly completely blind. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cole!

Re: Starting up; looking for advice

to MOL!

In my opinion, I think you'll capture more customers and generate more volume by doing the AIO approach. Not a lot of people are willing to spend that much money to do a full show car quality detail. Most individuals will have daily drivers and most would want to pay as little as possible.

May I suggest a good AIO for you? Please check out D151 - Paint Reconditioning Cream.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Thanks. I was looking at that too. I got a microfiber correction system kit as a gift, and I was wondering if the finishing microfiber pad/cream would also be effective as an aio?

Comment

If it was me, I'd use the SoftBuff™ 2.0 Polishing Pad with the D151. I haven't tried the D151 with microfiber pads so I can't really comment on it. If I were to try it though, I'd pick the MF correction disc to have a little more cleaning ability.
        2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Cool thanks for the advice. We just moved into a house with a garage and I'm so flipping excited to do more detailing (it rains so much here you cant do anything outside between may and... May. Does anyway else fall asleep envisioning wiping off wax?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');