Phew! Might confused - post touch-up product suggestions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phew! Might confused - post touch-up product suggestions

n00b.detailer

Phew! Might confused - post touch-up product suggestions

I am really confused. There are several suggestion on the Internet, and Meguiar's extensive product line does not help either. There are several polishing compounds, several waxing products, and tons of options. For a n00b like me, it is overwhelming. So I am seeking some help here :-)

Story: I bought a brand new 2012 Altima in superblack color. Unfortunately, I scratched it while trying to park in a very narrow space. I used some non-chlorinated brake cleaner to remove the paint transfer, and here is the current state: http://bit.ly/yhRf1D (look at the previous picture in the album if you are interested seeing the original scratch with paint transfer). There are a few very faint scratches, and 2 scratches that are somewhat big in size, but it has just penetrated the base paint. One of them is at an edge of a curve, making it difficult to sand.

Anyway, now I am set to fix this. I am going to use some touchup paint to fill the large scratches. I will use a toothpick and touchup paint to fill the small scratches (planning to use the universal black from walmart). I will sand most of this with a 2000 or 2500 grit sandpaper (except for the one scratch that is right at an edge).

Now comes the tricky part of buffing/polishing/waxing. What tools, and what compounds should I use.

Tools: Will this suffice: http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...der-92623.html
    Polisher: Some people suggest ScratchX 2.0, some suggest Ultimate compound, some suggest using the #105 Ultra Cut. Which one do you recommend, what pad should I use (foam?), and at what speed (1500rpm?)
    Finishing: Any suggestions? I think ScratchX 2.0 might not need finishing compound since it does not leave hazy color behind.. but the others might. If so, what finishing compound should I use? #205 Ultra finishing compound or mirror glaze polish? And again, what pad (wool?) and what speed should I use?
    Wax: When should I wax, and what product should I use. Some people say I should wax immediately, some suggest waiting couple hours for everything to dry, some say wait a week.. so darn confusing this Internet is!

Please help out! Thanks in advance.. I prefer products that are available either with Walmart/Costco or through Amazon.com (I have prime membership).

Re: Phew! Might confused - post touch-up product suggestions

Absolutely yes, it's a rotary buffer. Because you'll be working on small/ tight space Meguiar's W63 backing plate and W4003 wool/ W7204 foam cutting and W8204 foam polishing pads will be needed.

Polisher: Some people suggest ScratchX 2.0, some suggest Ultimate compound, some suggest using the #105 Ultra Cut. Which one do you recommend, what pad should I use (foam?), and at what speed (1500rpm?)
    M105 Ultra Cut Compound would be the best way to go for sanding mark removal (with either W4003/ W7204). Speed 1400-1500 rpm.

Finishing: Any suggestions? I think ScratchX 2.0 might not need finishing compound since it does not leave hazy color behind.. but the others might. If so, what finishing compound should I use? #205 Ultra finishing compound or mirror glaze polish? And again, what pad (wool?) and what speed should I use?
    M205 Ultra Finishing Polish with W8204 foam polishing pad. Speed 1200 rpm.

Wax: When should I wax, and what product should I use.
    No wax on fresh paint for at least 30-60 days.

After touching-up the affected areas you need to let the paint fully dry. Then you sand it down gently to make it flat (2000-3000 grit). M105 will remove sanding marks and M205 will restore gloss.

Be careful of heat build up while working with M105, especially if W7204 foam cutting pad is used, just touch the surface from time to time if too hot let it cool down.

Mike Stoops said that the Cr. ColorChip products work well, so may be an option.

You would want to wait 60-90 days before waxing.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Mmm.. That's Dr. Color Chip....

n00b.detailer

Thanks Greg.

I do not seem to find W63 backing pad and several 4" foams on meguiarsonline or other sites online without needing to pay $10+ in shipping. My local Autozone and walmart are not carrying them either..

I am wondering if something like this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Spot-Polishing...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Also, now I am contemplating on the PC 7424xp given the risk of paint burning using the rotaty I linked above from harborfrieght.. was wondering if they are available for rent generally.. I am in South Bay area (near San Jose).. I don't want to spend $150 on a machine that I don't know how to use and will just collect dust if I fail do use it properly first time...

n00b.detailer

Thanks Murr. I had talked to a csr from Dr.Colorchip, and they said their product will work, but before that I will have to buff up the spot using a DA or rotary.. so using it does not help since I have to buff anyway.. so might as well just use matching touchup paint..

Hmm.. buffing before to remove any paint transfer, small defects could be easier than removing sanding marks after... hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by walletless View Post
    I am wondering if something like this will work: http://www.amazon.com/Spot-Polishing...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
    Also, now I am contemplating on the PC 7424xp given the risk of paint burning using the rotaty I linked above from harborfrieght.. was wondering if they are available for rent generally.. I am in South Bay area (near San Jose).. I don't want to spend $150 on a machine that I don't know how to use and will just collect dust if I fail do use it properly first time...
    Good thinking. You definitely don't want to practice with a rotary buffer on a car which represents sagnificant value to you.

The problem with drill attachements is that sometimes you can't properly break products. It's rather meant for simple tasks, like polishing and waxing. Meguiar's brings its own tool to the market this year:

Dual action polishers, like Meguiar's G110v2, Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage 6", are great safe and effective tools. You could master your technique with one of them very quickly to an expert level. They certainly are capable of paint defect removal.

Maybe think about getting one of D/A polishers in the future. If you detail your car/ your friends and neighbors' vehicles twice a year that's a really good investment. It's gonna save you a lot of time and elbow grease. I was extremely happy when I finally stepped up to machine polishing world. The down side is that with backing plate and buffing pad set that's gonna cost some money (however many sites offer special kits: D/A polishers with pads combo).

n00b.detailer

Quote Originally Posted by Murr1525 View Post
    Hmm.. buffing before to remove any paint transfer, small defects could be easier than removing sanding marks after... hard to say.
    Hi Murr. I had already removed the paint transfer using a brake cleaner. The only thing now are light scratches and one chip.. The light scratches will probably not need any touchup paint and sanding - the only thing I plan to touchup and sand is the chip..

n00b.detailer

Quote Originally Posted by greg0303 View Post
    Good thinking. You definitely don't want to practice with a rotary buffer on a car which represents sagnificant value to you.

The problem with drill attachements is that sometimes you can't properly break products. It's rather meant for simple tasks, like polishing and waxing. Meguiar's brings its own tool to the market this year:

Dual action polishers, like Meguiar's G110v2, Porter Cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage 6", are great safe and effective tools. You could master your technique with one of them very quickly to an expert level. They certainly are capable of paint defect removal.

Maybe think about getting one of D/A polishers in the future. If you detail your car/ your friends and neighbors' vehicles twice a year that's a really good investment. It's gonna save you a lot of time and elbow grease. I was extremely happy when I finally stepped up to machine polishing world. The down side is that with backing plate and buffing pad set that's gonna cost some money (however many sites offer special kits: D/A polishers with pads combo).
    Thanks Greg. The Meguiar DA is even more expensive than PC 7424XP. Is it that much better to justify the extra $35 cost? Or is it just because it includes a backing plate and foam pad (how many inches pad is included btw)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information