• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Swirl Marks and Water Stains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Swirl Marks and Water Stains

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I've been reading in the forums and learning a lot! I have read the 5 step paint care cycle and watched the videos but I do have some questions concerning this. First off, I will be doing all work by hand. I do not own a DA yet but plan to purchase one soon. I am still a little apprehensive about using it for fear of damaging the finish.

My truck's finish is very good but it has some slight swirl marks from washing/drying and some water stains. It is a dark grey (Chevrolet Black Granite Metallic) 2010 Silverado. I understand the process from reading here but I am a little confused as to which products I should use for the proper results.

In the next few weeks, I plan to wash and clay the surface. Next, I'm not sure if I need to use SwirlX for the swirls and water stains or should I use the rubbing and polishing compound that I've seen also. I am totally new to this aspect of detailing. I have waxed before but always used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax then Gold Class Carnuba Paste Wax. I want to remove the scratches and stains but am unsure of the process. The scratches are very light but do show in the sun and I can't say how stubborn the water stains are going to be. From what I have read here, I think the Ultimate Compound is little much for what I need concerning the scratches.

Now, after the above steps, do I use a polish after the SwirlX, then wax? Or just go straight to wax? If indeed I do need to polish, which product is best to use?

Like I said, I am new to this level of detailing but want to make sure that I have everything I need in order to get the job done.

Thanks for all your help!

Re: Light Swirl Marks and Water Stains

If your goal is to buy a DA sometime soon, I wouldnt even think about removing the swirls by hand.

Just take this time to shine things up, and see how they look properly detailed, and get a feel for things.

1. Wash - 2 buckets, Grit Guards, Gold Class soap, good quality towels, mitts, etc
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - SwirlX would be fine. Can always go to something stronger later. And SwirlX is also good for machine use.
    4. Polish - Optional, not really needed.
    5. Wax
    6. Wax - 2 thin coats are best

7. Maintain - UQW or GCQW is great after future washes.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Using a DA (Megs or GG6) is pretty easy....I have no experience and had great results using my GG6 & GG3 on removing minor defects & light scratches on my cars on my very first time using. All i had to refer to was the vids I saw online here and the DVD included with my purchase of the GG3 &GG6

Follow what Mr Murr said and you'll be good to go
      "STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Thanks Guys! I've been reading some more on the DA and it seems a lot easier to use and a lot less risky than I originally thought. Looking forward to getting one and getting started! Thanks again!

Comment

tips

Using the da is simple as long as you use the correct pad for the job . I would reccomend the da microfibercoorection system but make sure to buy the liquid that goes with the system

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');