• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop leather wrinkling/cracking ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to stop leather wrinkling/cracking ?

This Leatherique sounds to be exactly what I need! I have gone through 1 spray bottle of Meguiar's Leather conditioner, and 2 bottles of the Cleaner & Conditioner...gel/goo which they both clean and work great on the good leather I have, but the top corners of my front seats, and the top of my back seat is all rough and wrinkled and dryed up, and no amount of conditioner seems to be working. Where could I get me some of this Leatherique?
    "Some say that he has a digital face, and that he has a full sized tatto of his face....on his face...all we know is, he's called The Stig!"

Comment

Originally posted by littledoe
      Simple, keep it clean.

leather furniture Miami
      Absolutely agree, and avoid heat and the sun as much as possible, is about all one can do. All these auto leather conditioners are just a waste of time and money in my opinion. Their use stems from using leather conditioners on "uncoated" leather, such as my horse tack, which gets dirty from normal riding and horse sweat. Conditioners are must for uncoated leather. Even the car manufactures do not recommend "leather conditioners". The only purpose I can see for auto leather conditioners, is to make the car smell good (like leather) and of course to increase product lines.

Comment

In an undated article the makers of 303 Aerospace Protectant basically say they confirmed with the "Technical Director" of Lexol that "coated leather" should be maintained just like vinyl. The article also suggests that information is available on the Lexol website. A research professional would not accept the statement and conclusions as authoritative, but they are interesting and quite plausible.

If that information is indeed available on the Lexol website, I was unable to find it. But it is interesting to note that Lexol no longer appears to have any of the traditional Lexol leather care products in the "Auto Care" section of their website. This could be for a number of reasons, but I'm going to guess that it does not seem likely than any manufacturer would concede their leather care products are ineffective on modern auto leather upholstery without a very good reason, given the effect such information would have on their profits.

Wish I knew what the real reason is. The information regarding whether or not the use of leather care products on a coated leather interior are of any value whatsoever to a consumer, as opposed to the manufacturer, seems to be lacking in verifiable facts, generally vague at best and downright misleading at worst.

Where does that leave us? Keep trying different products, including plain water, and see what works best for you generally or on a specific issue. Personally, I doubt very much any leather conditioner is going to "replenish" coated leather or make it "softer" or "more pliable." Or that the best source of truth or accuracy is always going to be the manufacturer. If all you want is your coated leather to look a little less scratched or worn, or maybe with a certain level of shine or even just smell "fresher" or more like real leather, there is probably something that will help you achieve your goal. Or at least make you feel like it has.

Comment

Posts by jfelbab (# 3 and 13) contain good information on coated leather
          ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Wilhelm;507889]In an undated article the makers of 303 Aerospace Protectant basically say they confirmed with the "Technical Director" of Lexol that "coated leather" should be maintained just like vinyl. [QUOTE]

Very true...it IS vinyl.

[QUOTE]
            But it is interesting to note that Lexol no longer appears to have any of the traditional Lexol leather care products in the "Auto Care" section of their website. This could be for a number of reasons, but I'm going to guess that it does not seem likely than any manufacturer would concede their leather care products are ineffective on modern auto leather upholstery without a very good reason, given the effect such information would have on their profits. [QUOTE]

Profits....you got that right.

[QUOTE]Wish I knew what the real reason is. [QUOTE]

The real reason is consumers are getting smart.

[QUOTE]The information regarding whether or not the use of leather care products on a coated leather interior are of any value whatsoever to a consumer, as opposed to the manufacturer, seems to be lacking in verifiable facts, generally vague at best and downright misleading at worst.[QUOTE]

I would go with misleading

If all you want is your coated leather to look a little less scratched or worn, or maybe with a certain level of shine or even just smell "fresher" or more like real leather, there is probably something that will help you achieve your goal. Or at least make you feel like it has.
            That is the only value added, is that conditioners WILL make the vinyl coating smell nice. The other claims are false in my oinion AND experience.

Comment

I had the same problem in my 2001 New Beetle. It was so bad the seam on one seat split. First, I washed the seats with magic eraser, then I applied a Meguiar's leather cleaner/conditioner and let it set for a minute or so. It made them soft again. I continued to apply a leather conditioner about once a week. Recently I found a non toxic leather glue. I was able to glue the open seam and the cracks. After that dried I detailed the seats and cleaned/conditioned them really well. It seems like it made a world of difference. I did not know how to repair those crack like tears but the glue worked and keeping them conditioned is helping keep them from cracking further. Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');