• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citrus wash or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citrus wash or not?

I would like to get some opinions on the worthiness of stripping a LSP before starting a paint correction. I notice on many higher end detailers sites and forum posts, they tend a call out that they use a "citrus wash" to clean the paint and remove old product before clay / polish. I have just been doing a traditional wash with Hyper Wash then going right to clay.
    Any insight from those who do the citrus wash or other LSP stripping step on why it is a better way to go?
    My train of though has always been that the clay and polish will strip any lingering protection from the paint anyway so it would be a moot point but I would like to know why some feel otherwise. Im thinking of doing some part time mobile business and was just planning on doing ONR or the RFEW so I don't need to invest in a water tank and set-up to mount it in a truck. After the wash I was planning on going to clay as I have been doing.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Re: Citrus wash or not?

I'm with you....

Something stronger like a Citrus Wash, Degreaser, Dawn, etc is ok for cars that have been really neglected.... but even then, if really old, and the paint is in bad shape, I would still want to be as mild as possible.

But there are some brands that really want no oils, etc left behind, and so it gets people more worked up.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It is important to know what the true condition of the paint is before beginning correction steps as sealants and waxes can hide defects. It it a critical part of the correction process? Well, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, is it a daily driver that is only going to get a one step correction process no matter what the condition of the paint, or is it a six figure vehicle that cannot settle for anything less than perfection?

The citrus wash in question typically seems to be P21S Total Auto Wash which is great product, safe and effecting on everything I have ever used, but very expensive. A more cost effective alternative you may want to dry is a dilution of APC, I use this frequently with great results.

Comment

Thanks guys. Most of what I will work on is daily driver type details so this really wouldn't come into play. If i would have someone looking for a high-end type job and if I decide to do this, what would your thought be about spraying the vehicle with APC and then using RFEW (since it leaves no waxes behind) to wash the car and to rinse the APC. I only plan to carry 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets of water and don't really want to have to use the customers water.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');