"Shines better than Meguiars..."
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "Shines better than Meguiars..."

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member TheSublimeGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    9

    "Shines better than Meguiars..."

    Noticed a can of Turtle Wax Platinum Detailer. It had a paper slip-on promotional on the head of the can, with a picture of TW's owner.

    I don't remember verbatim the quote beneath his picture, but I remember it containing the phrase "Shines better than Meguiars". Keep in mind this is the owner of TW.

    Frankly, I think it says a lot about a company when the head of it puts his own picture on their product, along with a quote singling out a competitor.

    Hell, it may shine better than UQD (which I'm assuming this product is in direct competition with) and its cheaper than UQD ($7.95). I would've picked up a can of it...if that very bold slip on was not on the can.

    Thoughts?

    -Mark

  2. #2
    Registered Member ChevyNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    416
    Rep Power
    13
    Yeah I don't really like when companies call out another company. But then again, I really like how Dodge and Chevy have been picking on Ford by directly mentioning them in commericals. Remember, "where's Dave? Dave drove a Ford." Also the Dodge Durango commercial where its pulling multiple trailers with a Ford Edge at the end.

    I guess I just play favorites haha.
    Always searching for the best.... Keep it country!
    ---------
    SkiDoo Snowmobiles!

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    15
    By comparing itself to Meguiars directly it is in effect admitting Meguiars is the industry standard. They are marketing to the average weekend wax consumer. A wax to me is only as good as the prep and pre polishing steps. A well polished vehicle topped with finish 2001 (remember that stuff) would look great to the average person. Like Mike Phillips always says " find something you like and use it often".

  4. #4
    Registered Member TheSublimeGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    9
    I actually have a bottle of F2001...siting completely unopened.

    What's the story behind it?

    -Mark

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    77
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: "Shines better than Meguiars..."

    The Platinum line from TW was a very good product , but is no longer made in the US. TW thinks that there ICE line is best . I think that they should get there thinking straight.

  6. #6
    Registered Member TheSublimeGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    9
    I think TW released a bunch of Platinum products to stores in 2012, because all the sudden (within last 2 months) they started showing up in every single store that sells car care supplies. At least up here in MA...

    Trust me, I've never seen these product before, and they all look like they slick new packaging.

  7. #7
    Registered Member ffboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    manila, philippines
    Posts
    1,389
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: "Shines better than Meguiars..."

    Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    By comparing itself to Meguiars directly it is in effect admitting Meguiars is the industry standard. They are marketing to the average weekend wax consumer. A wax to me is only as good as the prep and pre polishing steps. A well polished vehicle topped with finish 2001 (remember that stuff) would look great to the average person. Like Mike Phillips always says " find something you like and use it often".
    Exactly. Not that platinum is a bad product, but if i were them i would try to be more creative in my words and avoid using a particular brand/competitor as my benchmark. Its like admitting your own weakness. TW platinum is one of the very first "better" waxes i used in my earlier detailing process. Shine was ok, very easy to apply and buff off. Not too much streaking too which was a good thing.

  8. #8
    Registered Member TheSublimeGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy View Post
    By comparing itself to Meguiars directly it is in effect admitting Meguiars is the industry standard. They are marketing to the average weekend wax consumer. A wax to me is only as good as the prep and pre polishing steps. A well polished vehicle topped with finish 2001 (remember that stuff) would look great to the average person. Like Mike Phillips always says " find something you like and use it often".
    Exactly. Not that platinum is a bad product, but if i were them i would try to be more creative in my words and avoid using a particular brand/competitor as my benchmark. Its like admitting your own weakness. TW platinum is one of the very first "better" waxes i used in my earlier detailing process. Shine was ok, very easy to apply and buff off. Not too much streaking too which was a good thing.
    Well, there is a reason websites like AG carry Meg's.

    They're pretty much the only "Walmart Brand" (I use that phrase lightly) that I see offered on detailing sites.

  9. #9
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,401
    Rep Power
    1137

    Re: "Shines better than Meguiars..."

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFilgerleski View Post
    They're pretty much the only "Walmart Brand" (I use that phrase lightly) that I see offered on detailing sites.
    LOL..... that's an interesting way to describe us!

    In all seriousness, though, Meguiar's is pretty unique in the car care world when you consider the market segments we're in. Who else can you name that has a broad line of consumer products that you can pick up at Walmart, Target, all the major auto parts chains and countless mom & pop shops around the country, but also caters to high end detailers, large volume reconditioning facilities and commercial car washes, professional body shops, continues to work with the OEMs and paint manufacturers, has written process guides for dealer networks that are still in use today, conducted training in OEM and dealer facilities. There are several companies who are involved in two or three of these segments, but you'll be hard pressed to find another with the reach that we have.

    What's really funny is we've even seen people refer to us as "just a consumer product company" or "it would be nice if they offered some pro level products". It's sometimes an eye opener to see just how little some people actually know about Meguiar's, especially when those people are posting on detailing forums! For the record, Mark, we do NOT think for a moment that this is what you were implying - we totally understood the comment.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  10. #10
    Registered Member ffboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    manila, philippines
    Posts
    1,389
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: "Shines better than Meguiars..."

    Meguiar's does have a vast array of products from mold release to a variety of car paint protection/correction products that at least for me, is too much. From consumer to the solo1 system to mirror glaze to the detailer line. It's no wonder you're products can be found in a good number of detail shops to walmarts.. And have products that suit different types of applications.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. can't decide between "Krauss DB-5800-S" and "G220-V2" in Germany?
    By a6l3i in forum Machines - The Dual Action Polisher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM
  2. "Milly", my 2001 Mazda Millenia Gets A "Coin-Op" Basic Detail
    By SuburbanGuy20 in forum Show Off Your Latest Detail Work
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM
  3. Meguiars "Show Stand" Truck/Trailer
    By CumminsCrazed in forum The Break Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
  4. Meguiars "Show Stand" Truck/Trailer
    By CumminsCrazed in forum Company & Forum Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM
  5. Meguiars Carpet & Inerior Cleaner ("causing" stains?)
    By Mondego in forum Interior Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep 29th, 2005, 12:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •