• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to clean engine bay....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean engine bay....

Several parts to this query:

1) What is the correct way of removing all the under bonnet/hood grime? Spray on a cleaner and then just wipe with a cotton towel or use car wash shampoo etc and rinse with all electrical parts undercover?

I currently use AutoGlym engine cleaner(not sure if you get this in the US) it seems to remove the vast majority of grease etc and leaves a clean if slightly dull finish. Im always slightly concerned about leaving the product on the paint though without rinsing properly which is always awkard in an engine bay...

Is there a Meguiars product that is safe to just spray on and wipe off?

2) After removing all grease and grime is it just a case of polishing without any further prep?(I currently tend to do this but after reading all the surface prep material for the exterior should I not look to prepare the engine bay painter areas better to achieve optimum shine?)

3) Dressing of pipes/hoses/plastics. I am yet to find a product that gives a good lasting clean black finish to these components. The products ive tried always seem to leave a black residue when u next come to clean them or touch them....or an overly greasy finish.

Any advice on these topics would be a great help

i diluted some Simple Green Degreaser. sprayed it on the cool engine. used a wheel/tire brush to get the crusty dirt off. let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off with a gentle flow of water. i then to took my leaf blower to blow water from the engine. then i wiped the surface down with MF towels. the only dressing that i have at the moment is NXT Protectant, so that is what i used.

what prompted me to do it is because i installed a new intercooler and friends gave me **** about the bay being dirty (even though it was still winter) so i cleaned it.

here's the dirty pics:

clean

hope this helps some.

btw, i think a friend is coming over with his Evolution 8 and we're going to clean his bay as well. i'll take before/after pics.
    Last edited by Quack; Mar 31, 2005, 08:43 AM.

Comment

that looks great quack. Look forward to seeing the Evo

So the NXT is good for all the plastics/rubbers then??

My engine bay seems to have more paint on show than yours i.e bulkhead area mainly. Should I just try and clay what I can or is there another way?

Comment

Just my opinion, but I would go for a cleaner that is perhaps slightly more mild, but will not discolor anything. I've had Simple Green corrode paint off of shelves and such.

My concern is always that it won't be rinsed away completely, there can always be sneaky areas it can pool in.

I use APC+ at 4:1 or 8:1 depending on how dirty it is, and I use a soft carwash type brush to scrub with.

Just two cents is all.

On the painted areas like the bulkhead, typically the paint is basecoat but not cleared, and is fairly rough finished. I'm not sure there's too much to do other than wash it. You could clay it if there was stuff stuck on it, though.
        1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
        2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
        1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

by the looks of things the hyper dressing in a dillution of 3:1 is the one to go for after degreasing everything.

Thing is a gallon will cost me near on $70

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');