• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Makeover

Here's the makeover of the headlights on a Nissan Maxima, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Re: Headlight Makeover

That's insane! Nice work man!

I can't believe how trashed the headlights were to start with - almost looks like they had a light coat of spray paint on them.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

OUTSTANDING!

What was your process?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
        That's insane! Nice work man!

I can't believe how trashed the headlights were to start with - almost looks like they had a light coat of spray paint on them.
        Thanks, it took some work, but they turned out great. The drivers side headlight was a used replacement light due to an accident. When I received it, it was pretty badly oxidized. I cleaned it up with PlastX, but 2 years later.... it looked like it did in the before pictures! Extremely oxidized.
        Originally posted by BillE View Post
        OUTSTANDING!

What was your process?

Bill
        With these lights, I began wetsanding with 500 grit, then 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Wiped headlight down with Mineral Spirits, then applied a Spar Urethane/Mineral Spirits mixture for UV protection.

Comment

Originally posted by dangle View Post
          With these lights, I began wetsanding with 500 grit, then 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Wiped headlight down with Mineral Spirits, then applied a Spar Urethane/Mineral Spirits mixture for UV protection.
          So you went straight from wetsanding to LSP? No compounding?
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

So you went straight from wetsanding to LSP? No compounding?
            Correct, no compounding. The sanding marks leave a "gritty" surface for the mixture to adhere to.

Comment

Oh, I see. Spar Urethane is actually a clear protective coating formulated for timber!

Well, whatever works I guess

Comment

Oh, I see. Spar Urethane is actually a clear protective coating formulated for timber!

Well, whatever works I guess
                Correct, it is a "clear gloss" that dries hard, protects the plastic from UV rays and lasts years...not weeks or months.

Any of the other "headlight kits" available to the common consumer offer "band-aid" solutions with their "headlight protectants"...

Comment

nice work, would plastX via DA remove that heavy haze?
                  btw....how the heck does anyone allow that to happen to their cars?
                  "STRIFE" aka Phil
                  2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                  2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                  2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by STRIFE View Post
                    nice work, would plastX via DA remove that heavy haze?
                    btw....how the heck does anyone allow that to happen to their cars?
                    You'd be hard pressed to get any sort of desirable results for any length of time using a DA + compound or PlastX. The problem is the lack of "bite" in a DA pad to "clean" out all of the oxidation on the headlight lens in the condition that this headlight was in... hence the use of aggressive wet sanding.

Now if you want a temporary fix and are satisfied with ~80% correction and continual "messing" with your headlights to keep them presentable... yes.

Comment

They look brand new, what a difference from the before. Great work!
                      auto detailing atascadero
                      arroyo grande auto detailing
                      Paso Robles auto detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
                        They look brand new, what a difference from the before. Great work!
                        Thanks!

I offer this service with a $50 price tag and 1 year guarantee... and people have still complained about price!

Comment

Those look great! Worth $50 imo. Are you applying that product with a brush? Does mixing it with the mineral spirits help level it out like that? Is it a couple thin coats. Thank you.
                          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Originally posted by MrCLRider View Post
                            Those look great! Worth $50 imo. Are you applying that product with a brush? Does mixing it with the mineral spirits help level it out like that? Is it a couple thin coats. Thank you.
                            The product is applied with a Scott's Shop Towel (the blue ones). The mineral spirits allows the mixture to be workable, but the mixture is self-leveling to a certain degree. Only one coat is applied.

Comment

bookmark.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');