• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mobile detailing in office lots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile detailing in office lots?

I have been mobile detailing for a few months now. I am looking into becoming fully self-contained and primarily marketing towards business office workers. I have seen people do this before, but I am unsure if this is legal or not. I went to the city hall where I hold my business license and asked them, but they do not even know. They will get back to me later this week and let me know. Does anyone do this or have any insight?

Thanks,

Ben

Re: mobile detailing in office lots?

I clean in lots all the time, just make sure you are using a bio degradable soap like hyperwash and no chemicals that will leave anything behind in the lot. You can get waste water catch mats you can get but they are spendy. I just use my pressure washer which is a 1.3 gal per min and throw some towells under the tires when applying tire shine and I havent had any problems. Not sure if its illeagle or not it usually depends on your local waste water laws and whoever owns the lot.
    Even the best cars look like junk when they are not clean

Comment

I just got the call back today from the city. Apparently it is legal to work in office/business lots. However, you are limited to 3 cars/week per lot. Also, water reclamation is required. I am starting to question whether or not it is even worth it to deal with meeting all these requirements.

Comment

One way to work around it is if you have a garage or shop as well you could offer free pick up and dropoff while they are at work. I do that during the winter months and works out pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by Showmob View Post
          One way to work around it is if you have a garage or shop as well you could offer free pick up and dropoff while they are at work. I do that during the winter months and works out pretty well
          that is a very good way to get around all these regulations. thanks for sharing your info!!

-ben

Comment

Any thoughts on if I were to use a steam cleaner to clean the cars? This would leave essentially zero water on the ground and I wouldn't have to worry about water reclamation. Thoughts?

Comment

Hi Ben sorry I don't have any insight but I see your location is roseville good to see a MOL member so close
              2008 Mazda CX-9 (WIFE'S)
              1995 Ford F150 XLT (MINE)
              1995 Honda Accord LX (TOTALED)
              1962 Lincoln Continental (SOLD)
              1965 Ford Mustang (NEW PROJECT)

Comment

A steam cleaner would probably be too extreme for washing car paint (i.e. it would probably strip the wax off as well as promote drying out the paint.)

I've used steam cleaners to clean carpets, engine compartments, and under carriage of cars - all situations where the extra cleaning power of steam outweighed any potential damage to the non-decorative paint
                Andy W.
                Bimmers - '72 Tii, '74 Tii, '88 M3, '91 318is, & '01 330i
                Ford - '91 Ranger

Comment

Check out the optima steamer they have a vid on steam washing however I don't know how they do with really dirty cars.. I use steam on the interiors and engines but haven't done a steam wash. I know an optima runs 3 to 4k and for that you could buy a reclamation mat. Its a toss up. Did you ask them if you needed to catch the water if you used biodegradable products?

Comment

Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash FTW!
                    Tedrow's Detailing
                    845-642-1698
                    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Nice to see that Scott, maybe we will run into each other one of these days!

That's funny you mention the optima steam cleaner showmob. I was on the phone with a couple steam cleaner companies to find a steam cleaner that can run consistently without losing pressure. They mentioned that one but said customer service and the product itself doesn't last too long.

I checked out there website. Looks like a killer machine and it has 1 year warranty. It is on the pricey side but could be well worth it, just as long as it holds up.

As far as taking off the wax, I feel as long as you don't hold the gun too close it should be fine. They say to use just steam, but I would most likely use Meguiars rinse free as well!

Comment

Yeah it loses heat fast as you get further away. If you call them they will direct you to the nearest dealer so you can demo it I have their sales managers email and number if you need it. I think it is a good machine the price and weight was the reason I bought a different steamer.

Comment

I tried out the Optima steamer. NO!!!! No bueno!!! My company does mobile detailing in executive parks. It can be good money if you are able to up sell clients on more expensive packages. Usually the problem is that most of these places will only want basic washes and occasionally maybe they will want a Wash-N-Wax. This is a major problem when you consider you may wash 6 - 8 cars in one day for $25 each and will prob take you the majority of the day for a total of $150 - $200. Not if you are able to book two to three complete details in a day you can make $400 - $600 in the same time frame. So you have to consider which direction you want to go. But if you decide to go the executive park route make sure you collect the email addresses and contact info so you can follow up with your clients.

These are just my thoughts.

I tried out the Optima steamer. NO!!!! No bueno!!! My company does mobile detailing in executive parks. It can be good money if you are able to up sell clients on more expensive packages. Usually the problem is that most of these places will only want basic washes and occasionally maybe they will want a Wash-N-Wax. This is a major problem when you consider you may wash 6 - 8 cars in one day for $25 each and will prob take you the majority of the day for a total of $150 - $200. Not if you are able to book two to three complete details in a day you can make $400 - $600 in the same time frame. So you have to consider which direction you want to go. But if you decide to go the executive park route make sure you collect the email addresses and contact info so you can follow up with your clients.

These are just my thoughts.

Last edited by Michael Stoops; Jun 11, 2012, 10:41 AM. Reason: No live links prior to 30 posts
                          San Diego Car Detailing
                          http://thesocalway.com/

Comment

what was wrong with the optima steamer if you dont mind me asking? also which version did you try out?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');