• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X with Orbital/Rotary Buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X with Orbital/Rotary Buffer?

Hello,

I've read thru some posts and some said Scratch X is quite aggresive.

Can I use Scratch X with Orbital/Rotary Buffer?

Please advise?

First of all,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Second of all, ScratchX is not aggressive, it's gentle. Do you have a website link you can share where you read this?

ScratchX is formulated for use by hand, you can use it with an orbital buffer, or a dual action polisher but it tends to get gummy on the surface when it's heated. Feel free to try, just be forewarned.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I've never found ScratchX to be aggressive. Maybe on a rotary it might be but it's definitely best when applied by hand, and you need to use a fair bit of elbow grease before you see any results with it.
      If you've got a bit of paint to do, then it might be better if you used a product more suited to be applied by DA.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and prompt reply.

Here's the link that I've read.

The stament from Scrub. May be I interpreted wrongly.

Mike, How bout ColorX? Can it be used with machine.

Scenario,

My car roof is not smooth. Felt like dusty even after wash and dry.

So I clayed the roof and it was smooth when it was wet.

After drying it off, the surface still felt dusty as if like I didnt clay it.

Is this oxidation?

Another problem, I just bought a rotary buffer and Meguiars product are difficult to get in my country. I was tempted to use Swirl Remover 2.0 to try it on my orbital but the authorised seller do not stock professional range. The only thing that came close for my orbital use are scratch x and colorx.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I didn't get the ScratchX but instead I borrowed DCS1 from a friend.

Here's the result after DCS#1 with RO and 2 layers of #16.

Now I'm tempting to get Meguiar's stuff.

What would you recommend?

DCS 1 and 2 or just purchase #80 and later top up with #16?

Will number #80 perform the same as DCS 1 +2 ?

Thanks for the advise.

Comment

Originally posted by meximum
            What would you recommend?

DCS 1 and 2 or just purchase #80 and later top up with #16?

Will number #80 perform the same as DCS 1 +2 ?

Thanks for the advise.
            The M80 contains a diminishing abrasive that will be more effective at removing below surface defects by machine. After this step you can go straight to wax.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Maybe I should clarify. I meant that for hand application scratchX will perform alot of work to correct the paint surface. So for a hand applied product it can do some amazing things. Too me scratchX is (well not aggressive, wrong word) very effective at fixing below surface defects.

Moreover that link was in the context of comparing a machine applied polish and scrtachX. To get the localized results with a machine polish would take a several passes or an agrressive polish. The beatuy of ScratchX is it does a great job in a small area compared to some buffer polishes that would require several passes (with the PC) to correct the same area. That was the point of the comparison.

Sorry for my poor choice of words. I meant to say ScratchX is much more effective in localized areas.
              Last edited by scrub; Apr 20, 2005, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 more last questions before I stock up my stuff.

Would it make a difference of topping DCS #2 after M#80? Then only #16?

I'm just curious on what DCS#2 claims.

Scrub,

Thanks for the clarification. May be I'm still too new to understand the terms here. =)

Comment

Originally posted by meximum

Scrub,

Thanks for the clarification. May be I'm still too new to understand the terms here. =)
                  The err was not your understanding but in fact was my wrong choice of words. Sorry to confuse you.

Comment

I think using ScratchX with a buffer would not be very cost effective.....given the amount of product you would use to buff a fender or hood or even just some scratches.

There is not a lot of product in a bottle of scratchx (as compared to products such as #80) and I believe it costs around $7-8. A 32oz bottle of #80 is $15. Thats quite a bit of product. Much more that 2 bottles of scratchx.
                    -Bob
                    NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');