• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Trailer

We recently buffed out a 48' trailer that a race team uses to haul their car and equipment. It was 13 years old and had some old lettering on the side that we had to remove. Here are a couple of pictures. They are all before pics, I was too exhausted to remember to take after pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We used D151 on the entire thing, I worked pretty well and now the trailer is well protected. But that stuff was a pain to remove. I now have 2 more of these to do. Anyone have any advice on a better product to use to polish and protect these trailers.
    Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
    Guard: And your name is...?
    Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Re: Help with a Trailer

Could consider #66, it is a bit more like ColorX.

Or even #20 if only very mild cleaning is needed, but want a better wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've have detailed a few race trailers lately as well and have found that if the trailer is in decent shape basic cleaner wax works great for a once over product however the last trailer I did was a 1997 black featherlight that needed a decent bit of attention. I used d151 on it as you did. It worked great just was hard to remove as you mentioned. Im interested what everyone else has to say about this as well.

Comment

Re: Help with a Trailer

I've done a few more of these since my original post. I've refined my technique, process, and products and have come up with a pretty good procedure. Here are a few tips.

Normal car washes don't really cut all the dirt and grime off of these trailers. Liberal use of APC and Super Degreaser is very helpful. Getting them really clean makes polishing and waxing much easier.

Like Murr suggested above #66 is your friend. It does a good job of protecting and shining the paint, and is pretty easy to remove.

All the trailers I have done have been white, and it is difficult to see smudges from left over product when on a ladder or scaffolding. Have someone else on the ground look at the panel you are polishing and determine if it is done or not.

Hope this helps anyone tackling one of these beasts!
        Dr. Detail: I am the detail genius from the movie "Shine."
        Guard: And your name is...?
        Dr. Detail: Uhh... Shiney McShine.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');