• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown Substance On My Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Substance On My Car

After washing my car I would notice tiny spots on the windows when the sun hit them at the right angle. I thought it was dust or something left from the drying cloths and didn't pay much attention. Yesterday I washed the car, dried it and moved it into the garage thinking it was about time for a spring detail. I grabbed a plastic bag and was amazed that it felt like I was running it over a piece of course sandpaper. The paint had a coat of NXT2 wax and felt smooth to my bare hand.
    The windshield, side windows and hatch window all were rough textured to the plastic bag. My car was purchased new last October and I clayed it shortly after I got it home and the plastic bag test proved it to be smooth as silk. This time I cannot see anything on the paint and can't feel it with my bare hand but the plastic bag tells me the car has something on it that doesn't belong.

Got my stuff together (New smooth surface clay kit, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Deep Crystal Polish and my trusty NXT2 wax). I'm doing a 2011 Nissan 370Z, bright silver car and started on the top. Used the clay bar, bag tested and there was still bumps on the finish. Clayed again and still felt rough. Used paint cleaner and still rough. Used polish and still rough although smoother than when I started. I had a new bottle of Ultimate Polish I hadn't opened so I tried that and it worked pretty well. A coat of NXT2 wax and the plastic bag now just glides smoothly over the paint with just an occassional small bump. No idea what I got into but I found that the clay bar, paint cleaner and Ultimate Polish plus elbow grease set things right. Haven't started on the doors and fenders yet.

The problem now is the headlights and tail lights. I don't want to get too aggressive on them and wonder what might be safe to use. I don't know what I'm trying to remove since I can't see what it is. Would the Ultimate Polish be safe to use or should I pick up a headlight kit?

Re: Unknown Substance On My Car

In all likelihood you are dealing with embedded contaminants that would have been better suited for a more aggressive clay bar. The consumer clay works the vast majority of the time, but occasionally stubborn contaminants are better treated with something form the professional line.

That said, make sure you are not being shy with using a little elbow grease when claying - you might be surprised as how much effort some of the more stubborn contaminants require to remove (but they will come off eventually!).

Now, that said, you can get away with using a paint polish on the plastic and it shouldn't give you any trouble. The headlight kit will likely be a bit more aggressive than the Ultimate Polish, too (especially if you use the wool attachment).

Comment

Re: Unknown Substance On My Car

Thanks Mark. I'll try the polish on the lights.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');