• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Water Magnet Microfiber Towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Water Magnet Microfiber Towel

Hi i'm still a new user for Meguiars (about 2 month) and i have some confusion on the Water Magnet microfiber towel which i am using for drying the car after washing.

The towel works very well in absorbing the water but somehow the absorbing power of the towel is lost, the towel is not working at all. When i wipe the towel over the wet surfaces, nothing happen and i have to continue the wiping continuously to dry the car, but still there will be water spots everywhere.

Normally after each use, i usually wash the towel with cold water, without detergent and at some point i will use the brush to clean the containment on the towel. Is this the reason causing the towel not working anymore?

Re: Problem with Water Magnet Microfiber Towel

I would definitely use detergent when washing the towel. I also like to use white vinegar in the rinse cycle for any drying towels as it helps to remove any chemicals, waxes, etc left in the towel. I had a problem with my towels losing their absorbing power some time ago and found out they had some type of film build-up, which I think might have been caused from washing then with towels containing wax.

Comment

What do you mean by you "use the brush"?

Comment

[QUOTE=eden0717;501038] When i wipe the towel over the wet surfaces, nothing happen and i have to continue the wiping continuously to dry the car, but still there will be water spots everywhere.QUOTE]

I have a similar problem with the Water Magnet. I wipe it over panels and it just drags the water under the cloth, but without absorbing any water. This is happenning on a surface that is virtually flawless and holds two coats of M21 on the paint.

I flood the paint with a hose after washing and the water that remains just doesn't want to know about the Water Magnet. However, with a synthetic chamois the water is soaked right up with no wiping or pressure. I had great hopes for the Water Magnet but right now it's parked until further notice.

I am open to suggestions...

Comment

i don't include any detergent when i clean the towel. For the containment, i'm actually using the bathroom brush(not the one for toilet) which we usually use it for clothes and etc to clean the dirty spot on the towel.

Since my water magnet is not absorbing any power, should i change it to normal meguiars microfiber? Kind of disappointed after spending time washing the car but stuck with the drying phase.

Also, what is the life span of the water magnet you are using? mine was just 2 month, too bad, it was a nice towel. I doubt is there any way for me to restore its original condition...

Comment

try detergent like Micro restore, or APC+, if that doesnt work, you may want to boil your towels.
            boiling melt wax and make them float on top of the water.
            Dennis
            Nissan Fuga | 日產 風雅 | 日産 フーガ

Comment

I used to use Sunlight dish soap & hot water to wash my towels...worked great, but I decided to use Micro Restore & hot water...same results, worked great.
              All my towels whether they are the SS MF or water magnets, all perform as advertise for me.
              I think you can use APC or Super Degreaser & of course hot water, and you will get great results...your towels should work as advertise
              "STRIFE" aka Phil
              2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
              2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
              2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by eden0717 View Post
                Hi i'm still a new user for Meguiars (about 2 month) and i have some confusion on the Water Magnet microfiber towel which i am using for drying the car after washing.

The towel works very well in absorbing the water but somehow the absorbing power of the towel is lost, the towel is not working at all. When i wipe the towel over the wet surfaces, nothing happen and i have to continue the wiping continuously to dry the car, but still there will be water spots everywhere.

Normally after each use, i usually wash the towel with cold water, without detergent and at some point i will use the brush to clean the containment on the towel. Is this the reason causing the towel not working anymore?

I'm experiencing the same problem as you. Tried everything other people mentioned above to no avail.

The only option that I can see for both of my 'magnets' is to use them for wheel cleaning as their performance on the paint is appalling.

Comment

I wash my MF towels with woolite liquid and warm water. I found the Water Magnet to be a great towel once accustomed to the way it dries my vehicles. It appears to streak at first. Wring out the towel and go over the panel two more times and it should be perfect. The panel/panels will dry streak free. I have found that my vehicles are a little harder to dry when it's time to clay/polish/wax.

Good luck.

Comment

I've found the WM that I have do not seem to pick up water as well when they are dry. I start the drying process by blotting the roof to sort of prime the towel. After it has some moisture, I fold into fourths and dry the car as normal. It seems to pick up about 95% of the water. Then I go back over the car with a dry WM. It seems to have no trouble with the small droplets. I've seen the same performance with new or old towels. I still have one of the old WM with the satin edge and it is working as well as the new ones I just got.

Comment

All of your problems have already been answered in post 2. Follow Mark's advice. Wash in warm water with detergent, liquid preferably. Then during the rinse cycle, add about 3/4 to 1 cup of white vinegar. This tip is directly from a guy with 20+ years experience in the textile industry.

Colin
                      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cardoni View Post
                        I've found the WM that I have do not seem to pick up water as well when they are dry. I start the drying process by blotting the roof to sort of prime the towel. After it has some moisture, I fold into fourths and dry the car as normal. It seems to pick up about 95% of the water. Then I go back over the car with a dry WM. It seems to have no trouble with the small droplets. I've seen the same performance with new or old towels. I still have one of the old WM with the satin edge and it is working as well as the new ones I just got.
                        Exactly - it doesn't dry initially but when it gets damp it dries very well. Hence I use two! Perfect for cleaning the insides of the windows as well aftrer drying the car.

Comment

doesn't happen to my case. Dry or wet, it's like passing by the panel without absorbing anything...should i buy a new towel and ignore the existing one (consider as scrap?)

Comment

doesn't happen to my case. Dry or wet, it's like passing by the panel without absorbing anything...should i buy a new towel and ignore the existing one (consider as scrap?)
                            Don't buy a new towel just yet...i guess i will be the third person to tell you this:

Wash with normal laundry detergent in hot water. Add white vinegar during the last rinse cycle. Do not add any laundry/fabric softener or use any dryer sheets.

You should use some type of cleaning ingredient when washing your towels - there could be build-up of gloss enhancers from shampoo, wax residue, or even dirt from missed spots (it does happen every now and then). All of the above would negatively affect the towel's rate of water absorption.
                            MCA - Nothing special...just my initials

Comment

doesn't happen to my case. Dry or wet, it's like passing by the panel without absorbing anything..
                              Same in my case. I should point out I have washed my towel properly. My towel just doesn't like absorbing water. Wet, dry or damp.

I don't really believe in spending money on another Water Magnet to test it. If it performs as badly, then I'd have two towels with no real use. Plus with shipping costs to Australia.... Costly exercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');