• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Honda repainted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Honda repainted

I haven't been so nice and consistence with my car care over the years. But I am new to this. Have read many forums, which have added to my confusion. I am having my Honda painted by Maaco (yeah I said it) but that is what I can afford at the moment. I would like to know what to do and what not to do. Heard about the first 3 weeks no washing, then after 90 days wax or use a sealant. Heard about using Klasse sealant, Wolfgang and clay stuff.

I am lost and just need some direction.

Re: Getting Honda repainted

You should inquire if they would put in the clear coat.

After the paint job, you can wash and polish the car the next day but no wax for at least 30 days. This wait period depends on the paint used, the environment (temperature, humidity...), etc. I myself waited painfully for 90 days last time when one of my panels was painted.

After this "out-gas" process, you can use any wax or sealant to protect the paint.

Comment

Hi i can tell you my experience about paint job on cars,

I personally do it myself, but you need to take care of 2 things first.

If your car is dual layer (prime+color+clear coat) or if it is single stage (prime+color), in the first case most of materials used on it are synthetic materials such as polymers and stuff, if your dealer is using one of this the "cure" time is about 30-60 days, but this is only a believe, for better case you need to ask what material are they using and search for its technical sheet.

this is one of dupont chroma clear. http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...369S_2370S.pdf

next to it, you can use m105 to buff it, cause it lets the paint to breathe and take away all the gasses from the layer, if you seal it or use some wax, then all the gas stay inside and you will have some fish eye in the better case or the paint breaked in lines, i have seen this issue a lot of time.

Is better to way most time before you do some finish job on it, thats my suggest.

Comment

Unfortunately, all you can do is to ask for the materials (paint, prima, clear coast) your paint shop uses and do your own research.

I painted my cars many times over the years and they never told me about this "out-gas" process. Most of them told me that I could wax after one week. I learnt about this wait period in this very forum.

Comment

Thank you guys for the prompt help. So I can wash with low pressure right after the paint? After the gas -out period(60 days) I need to clay or not, then put a sealant or wax.

Comment

You can wash the car, just make sure you don't use one with wax in it. And be gentle when washing.

No reason why you can't clay after the 30-90 day out-gas or curing, since the only thing you might be doing while waiting is washing or applying a pure polish like Deep Crystal or M07 show car glaze your paint will still be subject to airborne contaminants. So same as having a new car, I would still clay, might as well maximize everything unless you thouroughly checked the paint and found no contaminants on the paint, then apply polish (optional) then wax or sealant of your choice.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');