• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What equipment would you recommend for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What equipment would you recommend for me?

Hi guys, I've tried the Makita 9227c and im getting the hang of it. We are now considering buying one for detailing our own cars as i've always detailed by hand and with a random orbital, so it is very difficult for me to do some correction on some of our older cars. I understand the whole detailing process, including claying, compounding, polishing, lsp, etc and the last thing i need to learn are pad combinations. The problem is, i am on a tight budget so i can probably only buy 3 pads first at the moment. Here are my questions:

1. Once i buy a brand new makita 9227c, what backing plate will i need so that i can put Lake Country pads? Our local dealer only sells different colors of the Large sized LC pads, and only a yellow foam cutting pad for medium size. What size of backing plates should i be looking for? what adapter stuff?

2. i sometimes see this ad here of someone selling 6 inch Kompressor Pads. how are these?

3. i can only initially afford 3 of them. so what is the 3 super all around combo you recommend?
    Yellow White Black? or Orange White Black? I will be using Meg's UC and Swirl X for compounds, then finish with Klasse AIO and SG, topped with Meg's Quik Wax

4. Is a Wool pad a must as well?

5. What Pad should i use for PlastX? Should i stick with UC for plastics?

6. Should i add Ultimate Polish to my regime? UC, Swirlx, UP?

7, Do i really have to buy 105/205 pro grade products? this stuff is expensive and hard to find where i am. Mother's detailing shop in our country actually uses and sells the brand "Mark V" compounds. are they any good? they all come in professional/non consumer looking bottles though!

Re: What equipment would you recommend for me?

1. DA has the capability of removing defects as rotary nowaday. Anyway, IMO get 5 or 6 backing plate for smaller pads are always easier to handle.
    2. Kompresser pads are good for curves. Thats it.

3. There is no all around combo. Unless you are talking about 1 step. 3 pads definitely not enough to finish up entire car and most of your products are intended to use with a DA polisher instead of a rotary.

4. No. There is many new pads that cuts almost as good as old wool pad but finish alot better.

5. Depends on the condition of the plastic piece you working on.

6. Yes. You should use UP follow by UC for refining. Skip that swirlx. UC > UP

7. UC and UP are more user friendly than m105 205. First thing first, you use rotary right? Then get M105 M205.
    Never use mothers so no comment.

Comment

Re: What equipment would you recommend for me?

If you are just getting started you should invest in a D/A as it is much more user friendly and safe. I would hate for you to put holograms in a car because of wrong technique.
      Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
      2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
      2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');