• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$50 Rustoleum paint job on 1st gen xterra.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $50 Rustoleum paint job on 1st gen xterra.

Hello all!

I just wanted to show my progress on my Rusto job. I am an noob in this realm and this is my first time please don't dog pile me. But I am taking my time and doing my best to take the proper steps. I am divorcing and quite broke at the moment. I followed the steps of the guy who did his hood in black on here. Thats about the best job I have seen so far. I bought this Xterra wrecked and fixed it. Any advice would be appreciated greatly! I did not have a porter cable buffer, just a cheapo rotary. I have painted a lot of guitars so I was familiar with the sanding progress but I have never done a whole vehicle. I striped just about everything off the vehicle.

- Grandfather fixed the frame for me.
    - replaced hood
    - Inner fender
    - Qtr panel
    - Blinker
    - Brake line was damaged from the wreck, but that was an easy fix.
    - bumper & grille

[IMG]www,dasflux.net/xterra/xterrasmall3.jpg[/IMG]

Laugh at my redneck engineering I dont know if this is really helping me a lot.

Help from my lovely daughter.

Interior shot

Just wanted to visualize it with something on it! Unsanded here.

Unsanded, still problems in this.

And this is where I am now. I am going to put on another coat and touch that up. I still have problems i have to get out. I used unigrit and a foam block, got all my major problems out wet sanding with 400. Then 600 > 1500 > 2k. I used cheapo rotary buffer with a cheap walmart foam pad. M205 > then m105 using what came with the buffer. No clear coat. This is my first time buffing as well. So, any advice you guys have will be greatly appreciated. I am learning and am a amateur. I am broke due to divorce. I lost my F150 after i cut my insurance during those twisters. I bought this X in dec and since its mechanically sound I decided to finishing it up. Thanks for looking! How am I doing so far? Advice? I'll get better pics as I get all my problems out.

Re: $50 Rustoleum paint job on 1st gen xterra.

First off, no one will ever make fun of you on here. We're all like one big family so welcome! Secondly, I am very sorry to hear about your situation I have been there and am still going through a rough time financially so I can sympathize. I, for one, think you are doing a great job on the Xterra! Your paint has less orange peel than mine LOL. I unfortunately do not know much about rotary polishers but I am sure one of our pros here can chime in. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the progress!

Andy

Comment

Unless I'm reading it wrong, your post states that you used 205 first, then 105. 105 should be used first, polishing out all the sanding marks, then 205 to remove the haze from 105. Nothing wrong with using a cheapo rotary. I've never seen pads for sale at my local WalMart, so I don't know what kind of pad you have. You need a coarse-grain compounding pad. Using 105 with a finer polishing pad will require lots of passes. Just be careful, since Rustoleum is a very soft paint with a long cure time. Also, I would use the finest grit paper possible for initial sanding. 400 scratches are deep and take a lot of work to get out. Even back in the days of "rocks in a bottle" compound, we started with 600. Nowadays, even when using single stage paint, I try to start with 1000-1500 paper and then go finer from there.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
        Unless I'm reading it wrong, your post states that you used 205 first, then 105. 105 should be used first, polishing out all the sanding marks, then 205 to remove the haze from 105. Nothing wrong with using a cheapo rotary. I've never seen pads for sale at my local WalMart, so I don't know what kind of pad you have. You need a coarse-grain compounding pad. Using 105 with a finer polishing pad will require lots of passes. Just be careful, since Rustoleum is a very soft paint with a long cure time. Also, I would use the finest grit paper possible for initial sanding. 400 scratches are deep and take a lot of work to get out. Even back in the days of "rocks in a bottle" compound, we started with 600. Nowadays, even when using single stage paint, I try to start with 1000-1500 paper and then go finer from there.

Bill
        Oops, No it was a typo actually and not me being noobsauce. LoL. Great information. I spent the evening getting problems out all over so I have not done anymore painting. I'll pick up some 1000k & the pad type you recommend. I'll do the other side of the hood like that so I can see the difference with my noob eyes. Ya it took a lot of passes, I watched a guy do it on youtube and took a stab at it. I am totally learning here. I did not have to be carefull around edges with that cheap pad but i will definitely tape them with the new one and be gentle. I don't mind putting on more paint to learn a little and get better results. Buffing seems like a whole world to learn outside of painting. I am just happy i got it that far. Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');