• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Headlight Protectant - Painted Surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's Headlight Protectant - Painted Surfaces

Hi All

I have been looking forward to this product as the headlights on my 2000 Taurus (after using the 3M Headlight Restoration kit) yellow quickly in the NC sun. I picked up a bottle and applied to my Taurus after a routine cleaning with Meguiar's PlastX (another great product).

On the back of the bottle of MHP it states it is "not for painted surfaces". Obviously, this is very hard to avoid unless the light is removed to apply but that is not stated as necessary. It seems like this product is some type of sealant. I noticed it almost completely disappears when applied to the headlight.

My questions:
    What harm could/would this do to the paint?
    What precautions do I need to take before applying?
    What is necessary to maintain the paint on my car after applying if some MHP comes in contact with the paint?

Re: Meguiar's Headlight Protectant - Painted Surfaces

I just dont think it is designed for bonding to paint as well as bonding to plastic.

It will be ok if your wipe goes wide.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

When sanding/polishing headlights, it's best to use some wort of car tape, or painters tape on the surrounding paint. This way you do not risk marring the paint, or getting a product on the paint that should not be there, like the headlight protectant.
      The HL protectant is likely a formulated sealant that can withstand heat and especially UV better than a car wax.

Comment

Yeah just put a layer or two of painters or auto tape around the headlights before you start working. Only takes a minute or two to do.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

So what harm, if any, could MHP do to the car's paint?

Comment

It won't harm anything. It's not a chemical polish or an abrasive polish. DOn't even worry about the paint. (I use it all the time)

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');