• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

air conditioning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air conditioning question

I have a question regarding air conditioners in cars. My question is does the Freon (I know it's not
    Freon anymore but I mean the replacement) lose efficiency or it's ability to cool over time?

What I mean is assuming there is no leak, does the fluid need to be changed like motor oil at certain intervals in order to maintain it? Or is the coolant good forever?

Thanks.

Interesting place to ask, but yes the refrigerant needs to be recharged.

Comment

Re: air conditioning question

I have been told no, by my dealer's service manager and the manager at an Autozone (both of who would have profited by convincing me otherwise). I was told by both in slightly different explanations that the AC systems in modern cars are self contained and hermetically sealed. Unless you are detecting a noticeable drop in cold air or have detected a leak, recharging your AC is not necessary. It won't hurt, but it won't add anything significant.

Comment

While I dont have any knowledge of a technical answer.....I can tell you my dad bought an 00 silverado new in 2001 and hasnt done anything to the AC and it still works great over 11 years later.
        00 GTP
        10 Z1000
        97 XJ (mobile rig)

Comment

The system is contained. Unless there is a leak somewhere, you're refrigerant does not need to be replaced. You could try using AC dye, or a freon detector to check for leaks. You could also check the pressure on the high and low using a system such as http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-man...set-92649.html

Comment

Originally posted by aslam
            Yep!! Should be recharged!!!
            No, it doesn't, unless there is a leak or not working properly, the system is good for life.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
              No, it doesn't, unless there is a leak or not working properly, the system is good for life.
              +1

Comment

Unless you have a leak, doesn't need recharged. I always put it this way to my customers "how often do you need to get topped off with blood"? Never, unless you have a leak.

Comment

All motor vehicles since 1995 have been designed to use R134a as the refrigerant in their Air Conditioning systems, which as stated is a sealed system. There is no need to replaace / renew the refrigerant unless there is a leak
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
                    Originally posted by aris View Post
                    +1
                    Make that +2

Comment

Originally posted by LedFoot View Post
                      Make that +2
                      make that +3

if you add more that what is required you stand the chance of destorying the compressor

Comment

The refrigerant needs a recharge, but not a replacement. Check for leaks and if you have any, go to any car service centre. Mostly, they do the recharge during normal car check-ups, and it's not a pocket-heavy process.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');