• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to remove rain x asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to remove rain x asap

I made the mistake of putting rain x on my brand new windshield replacement for my 99 audi.

It looks like ****, there are streaks everywhere and trying to clean it with armor all (yes I know but its glass right.. and usually this stuff works perfect in the spray bottle for me)

I really need something to remove this stuff, at night when driving it looks like absolute **** when any type of light is shinning my direction but I would prefer not to wait for shipping for any special products.. and most stores around here don't carry much stuff besides armor all products or basic spray products from meguiars/mothers.

I plan to wash the car tomorrow but I know that won't remove much of the stuff. any optionss?

Re: Need to remove rain x asap

RainX is silicon based product. You could try to remove it with isopropyl alcohol. If you have clay bar that would help too. Last resort would be paint thinner but be really careful not to spill onto paint. Hope this help.

Anyhow, I don't have problem with RainX. Maybe the streaks or film are there before you apply RainX.
    2010 Subaru Legacy GT - Graphite Gray Metallic

Comment

I don't think I properly cleaned as well as i thought I did.

When the person installing my new windshield finished he wiped the entire thing down with a glass cleaning solution (no idea what it was just in a spray bottle) and used papertowels. It left a lot of smudges and smearing.

I waited til the next day to wash my car, and when the glass was clean i used rain x but i think I used to much and didn't buff it properly. Just looked terrible and when I spray window cleaner on it you can tell the window cleaner doesn't actually reach the window.

I have the following lying around
      goo gone
      isopropyl 91%
      turle wax bug and tar remover

and from googling I guess I could easily get a product called soft scrub.

any ideas which to use? I would clay bar it but I don't have a claybar available currently and the kits cost too much for me this week

Comment

Take a look at you local auto parts stores, and look for No Touch Auto Glass Stripper. Part number:GS8

It is a bit messy to use, but it DOES remove everything.

Bill

Comment

Well, it says right on the Rain-X website that their Rain‑X Extreme Clean is the best product to remove the original Rain-X, so it would probably be best if you tried that. I am sure it is easy for you to obtain, as you have the original Rain-X, and anywhere that sells that product should also carry Rain-X Extreme Clean. I hope this helps!

Comment

I would try their dual-purpose window cleaner, myself. Its a glas cleaner and rainX treatment in 1 and I would suspect this would effectively "refinish" your rainX treatment. I used this stuff all the time on my new Ford as well as many other not so new cars and it works pretty good.
            2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');