• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#16 Wax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

You should allow the NXT to set-up properly before applying a topper like #16. I suggest waiting overnight, or ~ 12 hours. Again, this is only a general guideline but one I personally use.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Great thanks m8.

I'll apply #16 wax 2morrow morning.

Thanks
      Dave
      Focus ST170
      Imperial Blue
      Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
      Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        No. I would say that compared to all the other waxes in Meguiar's line-up, M16 even when applied using a thin coating on the proper finish will always be the most difficult to remove. By contrast, all of our other waxes when applied using a thin coat wipe off pretty easy.

Actually, I find #16 to wipe off more easily than #26 when applied in equally thin coats.

For me, #16 works best when I apply a thin layer to a couple panels at a time, then go back and remove. Wait until it completely dries and you may need a belt sander to remove it!

As you can see, applied over NXT, it does give the 'beauty' Mike mentioned!

...and this is over Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze.

Durable too, NXT/#16 combo at the 3 1/2 month point after a very wet winter and this Rolls is a daily driver to boot!

Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Scottwax, I just love the pics of the black Rolls. A month ago my wife and I bought a new black CRV (time will tell if getting black was wise or not). Always looking at your pics of #80, #16 details, the first thing I did was wash, #80 by hand and #16. We showed it to some friends and all one could say was it looks so wet. I have to thank you and Mike for your instructions on how to properly apply #16. When done correctly, easy on, easy off, and looks great.
          Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Comment

bluenmoon-glad to hear that! #80/#16 is a great combo on black paint, plus it is pretty easy to do and durable!
            Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Hi Mike,

I tried M16 under car porch (shaded) last weekend.

It was left for 5 minutes on half of my bonnet and when I finised buffing it, I can see unenven spots(looks like cloud) on the surface.

Then I did another test by applying on a smaller portion and immediately buff it off.

This way, I don't the uneveness.

Will this affect the duration of the wax?

Comment

I applied #16 wax to a panel and left for 5mins.
                When that was drying i apply a coat to the next panel.

Once 5 mins are up i buffed up.

Did the whole car and when to a Ford car meeting.

Got back to dust the car off and the #16 wax smeared.

I find DC3 (Wax) drys and does not smear but its not that good for durability.

#16 Wax look good so far but it smears

Is this right???

Thanks
                Dave
                Focus ST170
                Imperial Blue
                Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
                Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

Mike would probably be able to answer this better than I, but my guess is that clouds and smears are the results of applying #16 to thick. When I first started to use #16 I had spots or clouds show up and I had applied the wax wayyyyyyy to thick. Now that I apply it so thinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn that you can barely see any wax on the paint (actually you should be able to see the paint's shine through the wax), I haven't had any smears, spots, or clouds, and just as durable. Also when applied like this, it is easy on, easy off, and dries quick.
                  Just my $.02 cents worth, there are others with way more experience than I who might have a better explanation.

Comment

hmmm....

I did like Mike told us.

Put the applicator on top and turn/twist the M16 can.

I only turn 1 round. That should be very thin because after I did half of a panel, the wax hazed/dried. By the time I buff it off, it was already difficult and smeared.

Hopefully Mike would have answers. =)

Comment

"Put the applicator on top and turn/twist the M16 can."

Now wipe your pad against the lip of the can trying to get most of what you picked up off of the pad. Try to get that amount on the whole panel. You might be surprised as to how far this stuff will spread.

Comment

Originally posted by meximum
                        hmmm....

I did like Mike told us.

Put the applicator on top and turn/twist the M16 can.

I only turn 1 round. That should be very thin because after I did half of a panel, the wax hazed/dried. By the time I buff it off, it was already difficult and smeared.

Hopefully Mike would have answers. =)
                        Hey.

Did you put pressure when you were turning/twisting? Remember this wax goes on like a liquid. Put the applicator against the wax without too much pressure and swirl it around a few times, this will almost liquefy the wax on the top of the can making it absorb into your applicator. You shouldn't have a glob of wax on the applicator it should look like you are using a liquid. Hope this helps.

Andy
                        101impala
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Thanks for the info.

But I did put some pressure on the applicator but not that much.

You were right, after a few twist I can feel the wax like liquid when I apply it on the panel.

Noticed that the smears/clouds will sink and disappear the next day.

Just that after the hard work, it's not nice to look at smears.

Make me feels like I'm not doing a good job.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');