• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Compound and clay bar process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Compound and clay bar process

Is the Clear Coat Polishing Compound safe to use on paint with no clear coat?

If I am able to safety use this PC, shhould I use the clay bar before or after the PC?

Re: Polishing Compound and clay bar process

Yes, Polishing Compound would be safe for clear coat, or single stage paint.

You would wash, then clay, then polish, then wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Yes, Polishing Compound would be safe for clear coat, or single stage paint.

You would wash, then clay, then polish, then wax.
      Sorry I was not clear. This is a 1997 Miata and I suspect it does not have a clear coat. Does that make a difference in using PC.

Comment

If I understand the process I should use a terry cloth applicator pad to put on the PC. How much pressure should I put on the pad when I put on the PC. Pressure equal to or less that what is used for typical polish?

What should I use to remove the PC.?

Comment

The technique should be the same but the products can be different. Instead of using UC/UP, it hs been said that M83 and M80 are better products for single stage paints.

Use a microfiber towel to remove any type of product. That will be your safest bet.
          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
            The technique should be the same but the products can be different. Instead of using UC/UP, it hs been said that M83 and M80 are better products for single stage paints.

Use a microfiber towel to remove any type of product. That will be your safest bet.
            What do the acromyns M83 and M80 stand for.

Comment

I'm sorry about that.

M83 - Dual Action Cleaner/Polish
              M80 - Speed Glaze

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                So if I understand correctly these should be used instead of the rubbing compound and be applied prior to the clay bar procedure.

But then it is polish so maybe that indicates it should be used after the clay bar process and following the application of the M83 or M80 the wax should be applied.

Comment

You can follow the advice in your first thread here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ht=#post508079

Just substitute M83 for UC and M80 for UP when your paint is single stage. These products are used after claying the entire car.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');