• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a motorcycle

I got a couple people who want me to detail their motorcycle..the only problem is i've never done one before and have no idea how to start and what i should charge to detail one.

Maybe someone could give me some pointers it would be apperciated

Re: Detailing a motorcycle

I am getting to the point of just turning them down, unless you have a customer that understands the amount of work and time it requires to detail one properly.

The thing with bikes is the amount of crevices, chrome needing to be polished, etc. Its a lot of work and takes some good amount of time, I can get the average bike done in 4-6 hrs.

The problem with a lot of people though is that they are expecting to only pay $60-$100. I usually charge $120 at the bare minimum and I only accept them when I am not busy.

What specific questions/concerns did you have.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thanks nick for your input. I think I'll just say no to doing the motorcycles cause the clients I get don't want to pay. I normally charge $140 to $180 for cars/trucks/suv/mini cans and it's like pulling teeth to get their bussiness. They feel it's to much lol

Comment

Originally posted by aris View Post
        Thanks nick for your input. I think I'll just say no to doing the motorcycles cause the clients I get don't want to pay. I normally charge $140 to $180 for cars/trucks/suv/mini cans and it's like pulling teeth to get their bussiness. They feel it's to much lol
        You could try one or two just for practice/experience. But theres no big money in detailing motorcycles, I found that out a while ago.

As for normal detailing, for the prices you listed the client couldnt go out and buy everything and do it themselves, let alone having the knowledge of knowing how to properly do it.

I deal with this everyday, especially over the phone. Its only when you show them photos of your work or educate them about how you run & perform your service that theres a chance of getting the business. I get a lot of referrals though so its more for first time new customers calling.

A lot of the details I post on here range from $200-$300 and take 6-8hrs. I am not making huge money off them but I have to do a certain voulme of them to make a decent living. $140-$180 is not too bad as there was a time when I was doing jobs for this sum ( still do if I can knock them out in a few hours). But if your doing quality work, then the price simply needs to go up. Even the hack detailer shops around here pull at least $120 for a full detail.

Bottom line, try the best you can to educate your customer regarding the difference between you & the competition, and conduct it in the most professional manner as possible.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');