• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW, Claying and #7 polish fixed up my paint, /w pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW, Claying and #7 polish fixed up my paint, /w pics

Truck is nearly 5 years old and it gets 1 or 2 waxes/year. This spring it had a bunch of very small white dots all over the paint that wouldn't come off. I think it was a wax (non-Mequiar's) that didn't work properly due to the surface being too warm, or it reacted with the old wax. Anyway it would not come off with car wash, alcohol, or even my favorite fix-all WD40! Ya I know it's likely he!! on the wax and paint. But, these dots would not come off! Anyway first time trying claying and it REALLY impressed me. It removed junk off of everything, better than an SOS pad and without the scratches! Paint was a little dull after claying, so I used the #7 pure polish glaze and the paint was like new with a great shine and deep color. I the used the NTX tech to protect paint. It went on and off easy. The polish also seemed to removed 95% of my little swirls from my shammy days. Now I use MF towels, they're much better than anything I have used before. Obvious I'm an amature /nub detailer,,, just reading the forumns I decided to try the clay and the microfibre and it was well worth it. Everything new I tried impressed me, except my electric buffer, on my truck it didn't fit well on most surfaces, it worked on the hood,,, but I did most of truck by hand.

The truck is in Canada and it goes all winter in the snow, sand and salt with very few washes (cause frozzen locks ****). I'll try to post pics for reference,,,
    Hummm, not sure how you get more than 1 pic or how I make the easily viewable, Oh well, LOL
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BankBuster; Apr 9, 2005, 06:41 PM.

after removing the grime, salt etc,
    Attached Files

Comment

more, the hood after clay, #7 and Tech wax, pretty good for 5 year old paint and an amature,,, IMO
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BankBuster; Apr 9, 2005, 08:12 PM.

Comment

more, side of truck
        Attached Files

Comment

last one, sorry they're links,
          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the board. Hope you didn't mind if I post your pics to my message. Great job by the way.

Here's a tutorial for uploading pics. How to upload your photos into your Meguiar's Online Gallery.

Good luck and thanks for posting.
            Last edited by scrub; Apr 9, 2005, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Cool,,, thanks,,,Brad

Comment

Nice job BankBuster.....how easy did you find the #7 to work with? I read mixed reviews about it. I do my work by hand also.
                Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Hi,
                  I found the polish very easy to work with. I put it on with a cheap terry cloth towel, working on about a fender's worth of surface at a time, then I went back to my previous fender and whiped it up with a MF towel. Went around the whole truck doing this and then I went over spots as needed with a clean MF towel, buffing it to a clear, haze free shine. It worked very well IMO. It seemed to take a bit of dullness that seemed to show up after claying. It looked like a really coarse orange peel affect where the bumps were of a lighter or duller paint color, if that makes any sense. After polishing it was back to "like new". It was so glossy after the polish that I didn't notice any change after putting on the Tech wax. But I guess what did I expect to happen, what could happen, LOL. I just hope that was lasts atleast 6 monthes, as I don't mind spending all day detailing the truck the first warm day of spring, but any more than that and detailing gets old quick,,,

The picture shows the Tech wax going over the polish, you can see the non-waxed side (on left) has great gloss even before waxing. Give it a try, I don't know why others didn't like,,, I'll have to read their posts I guess?

Now to try a proper pic posting,,,
                  Last edited by BankBuster; Apr 9, 2005, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Trying a bigger pic,

humm, stayed the same, alright I'm done playing. Now I'll used what I learned about picture posting in other forums, like Snowest.com. My forum about mountain sledding I'm nearly addicted to,,, Thanks.
                    Last edited by BankBuster; Apr 9, 2005, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Looks great. Great job.

Comment

nice to see a pic or 2 of a good looking car/truck
                        can you list all you used soz i can get the same for my cford galaxy plzz
                        i'm in the uk so i may have to search for the gear i need

Comment

BankBuster

Sweet....looking at your reflection shots you have less "orange peel" than my truck...real nice job...and all by hand...that's amazing.
                          Rich
                          If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
                          DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Hi, & thanks,
                            FYI, as per the question above on what I used/did,, I just washed my truck and then went over it with clay bar using a very small amount of carwash soap in a pail of water (It was Car Brite's "Brite Stik Purple" from my Dodge dealer, I'm sure the Mequire's clay kit will work well too). I used a MF towel dipped in the soapy-water solution to wet down the area I was claying, doing a 3 or 4 square-foot area at a time. Using the towel to rinse and to the check how clean/smooth the paint was,,, After that I used MF towels to dry the truck and then Mequires #7 Show Car Glaze (a "pure polish") with MF towel, then the NTX paste wax using the apllicator pad provided (liquid was sold out at Canadian Tire, or I would have bought that). I was quite easy to use and obviously idiot proof, the only weird thing is that after claying the paint was a little dull looking on the tops(?) of the orange peel bumps, but the polish brought that back.

,,, PS, now it is much easier/quicker to wash as the dirt does not stick to the truck as hard as it did before,,,

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');