Problems with Meguiars Ultimate Polish
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Registered Member

Problems with Meguiars Ultimate Polish

So I'm fairly new to detailing, but watched every video and read every "how to" that I could come across trying to pick up the basics. So I bought a 2004 Subaru last week (black) and while the paint didn't look horrible it had some swirl marks and hard water spots on the roof, so I decided to try Meguiars Ultimate Compound followed by a Maguiars Ultimate Polish using a PC 7424 polisher and buffing out by hand using microfiber cloths, needless to say the results were far less than satisfactory. First of all the compound failed to remove any of the swirl marks or water spots, this after repeated passes working in small areas, but the real problem was when I got to the polish, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove by hand, even after using the PC in small 1' x 1' areas, using plenty of product; the entire car now has this hazy look to it. I even tried doing it again today using the Ultimate Polish by hand using a new foam applicator, and it turned out even worse...

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?

Re: Problems with Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Meguiar's polishes, compounds/cleaners are not to be applied and removed like wax. You will encounter problems if done that way. You have to massage them into the paint until it becomes a clearer, and is removed while wet. Did you use the correct pad combination? It could also come from using too much product, so instead of the compound breaking down and getting clear, you may be ending up with too much unbroken down product drying on the paint and making removal real bad and difficult. If not, it can either make the paint look hazy or remove none of the swirls.

Pro/Marine/RV Product Manager Markus Kleis's Avatar

If you are having a hard time wiping the product off it almost certainly is due to working the product too long (ie letting it dry too much), and/or using far too much product.

How long are you working the product into the paint? How fast are you moving the pad across the paint while polishing?

How much pressure are you pushing down with? Is the pad movement being altered due to the pressure at all?
    Meguiar's Professional, Marine/RV Global Product Manager
    My ride: 2014 Ford Focus ST, 6 Speed, Race Red
    NEW USERS GO HERE FOR RULES AND HELPFUL LINKS: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...guiar-s-Online

I've had success correcting paint by hand, so it should be even much better for you since you have a Dual Action polisher. Try using less product, far less than what you were using and work slower and maybe add a bit more pressure. Don't lose hope, you will get there soon. All it takes is a bit more practice and exposure to detailing. And when you get there, you will be hooked and have keener eye for keeping your paint as flawless and shiny.

Please tell us how you prepared the car for buffing, washing?, claying? Also what pads were you using? Were you working outdoors or indoors? Also mention what settings you were using on the PC.

Also sometimes water spots and swirls need slightly different methods to remove them. It's always worth the extra effort of searching that on Meguiar's.

Photographs usually help the folks here analyze your difficulties. Good luck working through this difficulty.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

David has asked some good questions there. If you were working outside on a black car even on a not so hot day, if the sun hits the polish it gets tough to remove pretty quick.
    The rest I would say is down to technique. The roof isn't the easiest panel to work on as a beginner either. Depending on how tall you are you may be on a step ladder, reaching forward a bit or a combo of both.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
    Meguiar's polishes, compounds/cleaners are not to be applied and removed like wax. You will encounter problems if done that way. You have to massage them into the paint until it becomes a clearer, and is removed while wet. Did you use the correct pad combination? It could also come from using too much product, so instead of the compound breaking down and getting clear, you may be ending up with too much unbroken down product drying on the paint and making removal real bad and difficult. If not, it can either make the paint look hazy or remove none of the swirls.
    hi..u mentioned to remove it while it is wet...im als new to detailing...ill be cleaning my car this weekend so needed some advice..i will be washing then will be using a clay bar. so after clay i will polish the car and on top of that will use ultimate paste wax...and i will be doing all by hand..the paint is in good shape with very less swirls...so my question is how to apply the ultimate polish as i will be using my hand...u said to wipe it wile its wet..please need some guidance..i am using the polish to get more gloss and depth..

also what do u recommend..should i use UP or Synthetic Sealant #21???

so my question is how to apply the ultimate polish as i will be using my hand...u said to wipe it wile its wet..please need some guidance..
    Since you are not really looking to remove swirls/scratches, it is pretty simple. Just applying it to the panel with a little more pressure that you would a wax. Then remove from the panel before moving on.

On the hood, roof, etc, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 a panel a time.

It can be easiest to sort of wipe over the area to remove the bulk of the product, then wipe across again to remove more , or the rest.

also what do u recommend..should i use UP or Synthetic Sealant #21???
    If you mean UP = Ult. Polish, then those are not the same.

Ult. Polish is a mild cleaner/polish.

#21 is a synthetic wax, kind of the older version of Ult. Wax.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Also, Ultimate Wax is the most durable wax/sealant meguiars has to offer, so I would just use that instead of having to buy #21, and should have the edge on dark paint. If you still have problems with Ultimate Polish drying up on you, I would just reapply/rework the area with more Ultimate Polish to reliquify it. Same goes with Ultimate COmpound, like dissolves like.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffinjapan View Post
    S when I got to the polish, it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove by hand, even after using the PC in small 1' x 1' areas, using plenty of product; the entire car now has this hazy look to it. I even tried doing it again today using the Ultimate Polish by hand using a new foam applicator, and it turned out even worse...
    For what it is worth, I had the same issue with UP when I tried it as a replacement for ColorX. Black car, in the garage. Just tried a 2 x 2 area on the trunk and it WAS impossible to get off. Thought I was going to have to use paint thinner to get it off. KIDDING. Thankfully I found a supply of ColorX which removed it. Probably my technique, (I will accept responsibility) because many seem to use it fine, but I would never use that stuff again. Anybody want a slightly used bottle of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information