• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which order to use products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which order to use products

Will be detailing my niece's car next month. Here is how I plan on using various products:
    1. wash
    2. paint cleaner
    3. colorx
    4. polish
    5. NXT.

Is this correct, or should I just use colorx instead of the paint cleaner. I expect that the car has not been well-cleaned or washed since last summer.
    Art Layton

I'd say ColorX as a cleaner is good.

A few questions though:

What color is the vehicle?
    What kind of polish are you planning to purchase? Pure or abrasive?
    Any specific flaws in the paint that you know of?
    Application by hand or machine?

The answers to these will help to determine the proper products and application method to achieve the maximum potential of the vehicle.

Good luck

Comment

Car is red VW Jetta. Plan on using random orbital buffer to apply polish and wax; everything else by hand. Condition of paint is unknown since I haven't seen the car since last summer. Polish is Meguiar's mirror glaze. I have used Meguiar's clear coat body scrub with success on other cars. Any thoughts?
      Art Layton

Comment

I have a feeling you might need a polish with some abrasive in it. What number is the mirror glaze. Just make sure the product you have on hand is not a pure polish like #7 or #81 as you will find these products are truly great for a fine finish but have limited swirl removal properties.

I never really had a chance to use Body Scrub (although I like the name "scrub")... I was hooked on the Medallion premium paint cleaner.

You could skip colorX and go with either scenario below.

Wash
        clay
        cleaner (body scrub)
        polish (swirl/cob web remover)
        NXT

or

Wash
        clay
        colorX
        polish (swirl/cob web remover)
        NXT

Or even

Wash
        Clay
        ColorX
        NXT

Just depends on how much time your willing to put into it and what you want to spend on products. Sounds like you have the products on hand. Just double check your polish.

Are you wanting to eliminate the webs and swirls or just restore gloss and shine??

One last question did you plan on using the buffer with the cleaner?

These are just my opinions and how I would perform the process. I'm sure others will jump in and present other ideas that will be more in line with what you're trying to accomplish.

Good lucka nd keep the questions coming. Breaks over I gotta get back to washing cars...

Comment

Good question about using the buffer for cleaning. In the past, I have only used it to apply polish and wax. Is there any reason why I couldn't use it with the paint cleaner/colorx/ body scrub?
          Art Layton

Comment

Originally posted by Henrydog
            Good question about using the buffer for cleaning. In the past, I have only used it to apply polish and wax. Is there any reason why I couldn't use it with the paint cleaner/colorx/ body scrub?
            Hi Henrydog,

The products you have listed will all work fine with a traditional orbital buffer and any of the three combinations listed by scrub should produce stellar results.

If you can, how about a few before and after pictures?

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');