• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too much trial and error!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much trial and error!

My darling wife bought me a Porter Cable DA polisher for Christmas. It came with a 5 inch 55475 foam pad. She also bought a 18002 "Hook and Loop Contour Pad with 6 Dust Holes" and two 18007 "Hook and Loop Lambs Wool Polishing Pads" both of which are 6 inch upon recommendation of the salesman. I went to work on my car. Wash, Clay........ Meguair's Deep Chrystal Cleaner was the first product I applied with the DA using the 5" foam pad that came with it. I figured I'd wash the pad out when I was done with the cleaner. Set it out in the sun, standing on it's side on a piece of saran wrap to avoid contamination. I was anxious to move on to the polish and since the foam pad wasn't quite dry enough to suit me I put it back on the DA and turned it up to 6 thinking it would spin the remaining water out. Wrong! The foam pad flew apart! OK, I guess I had a severely out of balance condition having stood the pad on its side. So now do I need to replace the pad so I can go on to the Deep Chrystal Polish and Liquid Carnuba given that I still have the other pads mentioned above? The hook and loop add-ons seem a lot easier to use given that they are so much easier to change. Are foam pads made that utilize the hook and loop mounting method? What products should I use the lambs wool pads to apply and what products should I apply with foam pads? I guess utopia would be to have a pad for each product.

You definitely want a separate pad for each product.

I've never even used my lambswool pad - differing foam pads have gotten the job done just fine.

Comment

Re: Too much trial and error!

Originally posted by vette66aircoupe
      My darling wife bought me a Porter Cable DA polisher for Christmas. It came with a 5 inch 55475 foam pad. She also bought a 18002 "Hook and Loop Contour Pad with 6 Dust Holes" and two 18007 "Hook and Loop Lambs Wool Polishing Pads" both of which are 6 inch upon recommendation of the salesman. I went to work on my car. Wash, Clay........ Meguair's Deep Chrystal Cleaner was the first product I applied with the DA using the 5" foam pad that came with it. I figured I'd wash the pad out when I was done with the cleaner. Set it out in the sun, standing on it's side on a piece of saran wrap to avoid contamination. I was anxious to move on to the polish and since the foam pad wasn't quite dry enough to suit me I put it back on the DA and turned it up to 6 thinking it would spin the remaining water out. Wrong! The foam pad flew apart! OK, I guess I had a severely out of balance condition having stood the pad on its side. So now do I need to replace the pad so I can go on to the Deep Chrystal Polish and Liquid Carnuba given that I still have the other pads mentioned above? The hook and loop add-ons seem a lot easier to use given that they are so much easier to change. Are foam pads made that utilize the hook and loop mounting method? What products should I use the lambs wool pads to apply and what products should I apply with foam pads? I guess utopia would be to have a pad for each product.

This is the place to come for info about detailing!

Here is what most of us on this board use: DA System

as lig said; You want to use a different product with each pad. and I too am not sure on the lambswool pads and a PC. Not sure its the best idea.

You talk about the deep crystal system, thats a great way to start. I have had really good luck with the system. Easy to use, you can find it easy and best of all its inexpensive!

Hope this helps!

PS what kind/color of vehicle will you be detailing?
      Last edited by gb387; Apr 10, 2005, 02:21 PM.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have seen people use lamb wool pads on a da before. However, they used it as a first step with an aggressive cleaner and have to remove the damage later with a polishing pad. As gb387 mentioned, staying with the meguiars da pads are your best bet to get good and safe results.

Comment

Lamb's wool pads are not recommended for use with the DA polisher. They are too aggressive and will scratch the paint. Stay with the foam pads from Meguiar's, they use the velcro attachment system to the backing pad. For cleaners and cleaner/polishes use the yellow foam pads and for pure polishes like #81 and waxes use the pink finishing pad.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat. I'm guessing that the foam pads will work with the contour pad I have. Anybody know if the one Meguiar's offers is the #18002 Porter Cable item? Maybe this is simpler than I think. It looks like all I need to do is buy the set of three foam pads.

Comment

I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat. I'm guessing that the foam pads will work with the contour pad I have. Anybody know if the one Meguiar's offers is the #18002 Porter Cable item? Maybe this is simpler than I think. It looks like all I need to do is buy the set of three foam pads.
              Sounds like you have the hook and loop type... I have only used Meguiars backing plate but I would think any hook and loop backing plate would work if not, you can get the backing plate and pads in this kit at Meguiars for $32.95 and you are set! You are right hook and loop is much easier!

You have a couple of nice cars.... if you are willing to try NXT Tech Wax its a great easy to use was, looks great.
              Something like this:
              1. Deep Crystal Cleaner
              2. Deep Crystal Polish
              3. NXT Generation® Tech Wax

Food for thought!

Post some photos if you can.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Post some photos if you can.

Always like to see PICs of well taken care of Vintage Vettes.

PICs of my 2001 Mag Red C5 Coupe, A4 (3.42)
                w/405rwhp & 372rwtq ... Stock Heads

GM got it right with the C5 styling, however ...
                the C6 is a sad attempt at cosmetic refinement.

Comment

Here's what's in the stable. This is the '60. It's a 283, 4 speed. I've put a set of Cragar SS mags on it since this picture. It also has a new black top. Lots of fun on a nice day but I need to do something to the front end. These old Vettes are aimed, not steered, in my opinion. I'm thinking of a coil over conversion with disc brakes for next winter.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is the big dog, a '66. It's all numbers matching and I'll keep it as original as I can. I can play with the '60 as it doesn't have the original motor among other things. The '66 is a 427/390, 4 speed, A/C, P/S, side pipes...nothing sounds like a big block!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's what's in the stable. This is the '60. It's a 283, 4 speed. I've put a set of Cragar SS mags on it since this picture. It also has a new black top. Lots of fun on a nice day but I need to do something to the front end. These old Vettes are aimed, not steered, in my opinion. I'm thinking of a coil over conversion with disc brakes for next winter.
                      That is gorgeous!

Comment

This is the big dog, a '66. It's all numbers matching and I'll keep it as original as I can. I can play with the '60 as it doesn't have the original motor among other things. The '66 is a 427/390, 4 speed, A/C, P/S, side pipes...nothing sounds like a big block!
                        Outstanding, you have a pair of show-n-go Classic Vettes.

Comment

I'm working on a black '60 Corvette first. Then a red '66 Corvette Coupe. Both are base coat/clear coat.
                          The first question is,

"What is your goal?"

That is, do these cars have swirls or other defects that you want to remove? How does the finish look in bright light, like sunlight?

Cobweb-effect

Buffer Swirls

What Meguiar's likes to teach is to first determine what your car care goals are, then
                          • * Evaluate the finish
                            * Choose the correct product(s)
                            * Use good technique

If you do the above three things your chances for success are almost guaranteed.

As others have suggested, getting a Meguiar's pad kit would be a first good step. You'll need the two yellow polishing pads for defect removal, and the finishing pad for applying wax. If you want to also remove the wax with a microfiber bonnet, (very good for show car work), then I would suggest an extra foam pad that you can dedicate for use with your bonnets so that it's alway clean and dry for wax removal. For this our W-7006 foam cutting pad works great as the extra stiffness works well for wax removal.

If you do have swirls and scratches, you might want to consider a cleaner/polish from our Professional Line as your first step product, such as the M80 Speed Glaze. If your finish doesn't have to deep of swirls and scratches you can use this product with a W-8006 foam polishing pad and after polishing all of the paint to perfection you can switch to the W-9000 finishing pad and go straight to the waxing step. For most people and for most cars this two-step approach will produce stellar results.

So how does the finish on both of these cars look when you view the sun reflecting off the finish?

Like this?

Or like this?

Is this what you want?
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

Sweet vettes
                            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the advice. Both of my finishes are in pretty good shape. I don't have what you depict as cobwebs or buffer swirls. I do have some very fine scratches, probably from something nasty being drug across the surface during prior hand cleanings and waxings. What would I like? The finish you show on the black mid-year Vette of course! I'm still not clear as to whether I can use the PC 18002 hook and loop contour pad (backplate) with your 3 pack of pads or do I need to buy the whole set with the backplate. I don't want to buy the whole set and then find out I have the exact same backplate already from Porter Cable. Here's a picture of it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');