• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash/Clay/Wax job - What to do when after claying, surface still rough? Cleaner wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash/Clay/Wax job - What to do when after claying, surface still rough? Cleaner wax?

I'm doing an exterior-only detail job with the whole works except for no polishing. He only paid for Wash-Clay-Wax (well trim and tires of course).

But after claying the car, the paint is still very rough, I don't feel like I'd have done a good job if I return it to him with the paint not being smooth as glass. But I don't want to do free work either.

So I was thinking I could apply the wax with my DA and use a cleaner wax. My problem with that is I'm not applying the premium wax I'd like to leave on the car...

Thoughts?

Re: Wash/Clay/Wax job - What to do when after claying, surface still rough? Cleaner w

Just have the Smooth Surface Clay?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Wash/Clay/Wax job - What to do when after claying, surface still rough? Cleaner w

Yeah I don't have the mild or aggressive clay bars. You think it's a clay issue...?

I did a test spot with polish by hand and it definitely came out smooth. Pad didn't look bad.

Comment

Was it a brand new clay bar? Maybe you got a bad batch. Was there a ton of dirt on the clay? Was the car extremely dirty? I would try another clay bar, never had that happen before.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
        "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

The car was purchased second hand, it's like a 2000 model I think. The current owner doesn't think it was ever washed, and I'd be inclined to agree. It's pretty bad, most notably on horizontal surfaces with water marks down the side.

My clay bar I have isn't so great either but I have another I've used a few times, it doesn't seem to pull up anything new. I ordered new ones but they haven't arrived in time.

Comment

You can go to any autoparts store and pick up Meg's smooth surface clay kit or mothers clay kit. You could also try some Meg's paint cleaner with a white foam pad to chemically clean the paint.

You might have to re-discuss this job with the customer if the paint is that bad.

Comment

The Mild blue clay is a little stronger then the Smooth Surface Clay... not a bad thing to have if working on some customers.

Also, the new 'clay' towels are a bit stronger. They can leave a little marring, but not bad if using a cleaner/wax like #66 or something after.

If all else fails, be honest and give a discount for next time when you have a different clay or product to try.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

There's a reason they make both aggressive and mild clay. And it sounds like you just discovered it.

Some finishes are simply beyond what mild clay can correct in a reasonable time frame.

Part of the detailing profession is learning how to estimate how much work a given job will require. Some of that will come with experience, and some can only be found with test spots.

pc

Comment

Keep the client in the loop regarding the condition of the surface. If the contaminants are worse than originally expected let the client know that. If you want to retain the client or have the opportunity for positive word of mouth the do the extra work for the already agreed upon price. If you don't mind the risk of this client's no repeat business then renegotiate the price. Be straight forward and fair.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll be ordering the stronger clays soon.

Comment

Well I guess I spoke too soon. My smooth surface clay didn't work too well today on a pearl white Lexus. Just didn't see to pick up and I had to go over the same spot several times.

Didn't come out the way I wanted it too. I guess it is time to pick up some mild and aggressive. Smooth surface just didn' cut it today.

Comment

Always keep in mind that the aggressive clay can sometimes haze the finish a little. It's normally used in a multiple step detail when you'll be buffing the finish anyway.

pc

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');