• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

info on unigrit sanding/foam finishing discs needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on unigrit sanding/foam finishing discs needed

I saw on amazon there is a unigrit sanding disc and a foam finishing disc is there a difference between the two?

when using the 6" discs can I use a Lake country 5" backing plate?

Do I need the foam interface for both styles of discs?

approx how many square feet or inches can I sand with one disc if I am trying to remove 2000 grit marks?

I just got my car painted and there is a lot of orange peel all over the car, I am planning to wet sand by hand to 2000 grit and then machine sand with 3000 grit then use the DA microfiber correction system.

I am also low on cash so I am looking for the most economical method.

any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Re: info on unigrit sanding/foam finishing discs needed

I saw on amazon there is a unigrit sanding disc and a foam finishing disc is there a difference between the two?
    Sanding discs are more aggressive. Finishing discs have special cushioning.

when using the 6" discs can I use a Lake country 5" backing plate?
    6" discs are designed to work with Meguiar's S6BP backing plate.

Do I need the foam interface for both styles of discs?
    Yes, for better control of sanding process and easier application over contoured areas.

approx how many square feet or inches can I sand with one disc if I am trying to remove 2000 grit marks?
    It will depend on paint workability/ hardness.

I just got my car painted and there is a lot of orange peel all over the car, I am planning to wet sand by hand to 2000 grit and then machine sand with 3000 grit then use the DA microfiber correction system.
    Machine/ damp sanding leaves much more unifrom finish than wet/ hand sanding. Don't over saturate the discs when damp sanding - just little spray of water per disc.
    2000 grit/ 3000 grit sounds good. DA Microfiber Correction System should successfully remove 3000-grit sanding marks on fresh paint.

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
      Sanding discs are more aggressive. Finishing discs have special cushioning.

if the sanding disc and the finishing disc are both 3000 grit why would the sanding disc be more aggressive, I thought the grit size was what determined how aggressive it is.

is the interface pad the special cushioning?

also do I use the foam interface pad for both sanding and polishing pads?

Comment

if the sanding disc and the finishing disc are both 3000 grit why would the sanding disc be more aggressive, I thought the grit size was what determined how aggressive it is.
        One more time - the extra cushioning on finishing discs makes them less aggressive.

is the interface pad the special cushioning?
        Yes, it is. It provides better control of sanding process, less rapid paint removal and contours to body shape.

also do I use the foam interface pad for both sanding and polishing pads?
        I would recommend to do so. Without it paint removal is very fast (especially with sanding discs) and may get out of control very easily.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');