• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

Hi Everyone , bit of an anxious post here. After following recommendations from friends i waxed my 1963 zodiac a few days ago with nxt 2 techwax. The results were great but after attending a car show today where it rained and then the sun came out at various intervals i'm left with etched in water spotting all over the car that wont budge.
    I've read various posts on here regarding rectifying this and nothing has worked.

The only thing that has worked is flatting and polishing the area with 1500 w/d then using g3 to polish up again.
    As you can probably imagine tho , doing this on a near 17 foot car is a bit annoying and i'm sure the paint is thin in some areas and don't want to break through.

Disturbingly i never had this problem with dodo juice and only used the nxt as it was highly recommended.
    Prior to using the nxt i used meguiars paint cleaner to prep for nxt.

Any ideas on how to get out of this mess would be much appreciated. At the moment my 26 years in the paintshop is telling me i'm looking at repainting

There does seem to be a lot of threads on water spotting on this site , is this a problem with meguiars waxes?

Re: Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

This simply makes no sense to me. Not that you are wrong in what you see but that I have never heard of this.

NXT 2.0 would not make water spotting worse and would in fact, make it easier to work with.

Any pictures?
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I too can't see how a wax would cause water spotting like that...
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

This makes no sense to me. Any wax/sealent is a barrier between the paint the elements. Maybe it was acid rain?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies , i will get some pictures up asap. It clearly shows where the wax has beaded and held deposits which have eaten into the paint in the same way that water spotting occurs.

Comment

So it's the "deposits" in the water that have etched into the paint. Not the wax's fault then.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
              So it's the "deposits" in the water that have etched into the paint. Not the wax's fault then.
              Hi Dave , this problem never occurred with dodo juice or any other type of waxes used previously and from looking at other vehicles at the show yesterday no one else had a problem such as this.
              You could always make the point that it may be due to the quality/type of paint on the vehicle but equally no warning is given to suitability of the product.

The fact is that you can see where water has beaded and that is where the marks are. I'll be calling meguiars uk this morning as i believe its best to give a company a fair chance to help before taking other approaches.

Comment

That must be frustrating. I'm curious, what process did you use before putting down the NXT Tech Wax 2.0?? And you indicate sanding is all that works to remove them. Again, what different methods (products) have you tried before resorting to sanding?

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
                  That must be frustrating. I'm curious, what process did you use before putting down the NXT Tech Wax 2.0?? And you indicate sanding is all that works to remove them. Again, what different methods (products) have you tried before resorting to sanding?
                  Hi , I used meguiars paint cleaner then nxt2 paste applyed sparingly. I have tried a small area with clay bar farecla g3 , white vinegar to neutralise the alkaline deposits, swirl x. only flatting and polishing works. This wouldn't be so bad if the repaint of years ago prior to my ownership still had a significant layer left to work with. My gut feeling is that i'll break through in several places if i f+p the whole areas.

I have spoke to meguiars uk this morning and they are going to send out a compound and see where we go from there.
                  Yes it is frustrating and i'm a bit gutted to say the least particularly as it was really looking its best up till this point.

A couple of shots from the previous shows

Comment

forgot to add that i have also used meguiars paint cleaner and have washed the areas area prior to attempting rectification.

Comment

Where in the Uk are you? I detail cars and would be willing to help foc.

Comment

Originally posted by rapport25 View Post
                        Where in the Uk are you? I detail cars and would be willing to help foc.
                        Thanks mate , that is really kind and much appreciated. I'm going to get the meguiars tech to visit the car first and wont be attempting further rectification until then tho.

I'm in Oundle on the perterborough/northampon border.

If your not to far from me i could well be in touch.

Many thanks again

Mick

Comment

Those water spots bring back memories from the 1960's. I had a light blue Austin Healey Sprite Mk II. It was waxed monthly and for the first couple years the paint was flawless. Then every time it rained, the car started water spotting with white spots on the paint. As I recall, the spots looked exactly like those in your pictures. There was nothing I could do to remove the water spots. Eventually I just learned to live with the problem. The wax of choice at that time was Car Skin. I doubt the Car Skin caused the problem and I doubt the NXT caused your problem. I suspect it was the British paint because I have never had another car have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornercarver View Post
                            . Eventually I just learned to live with the problem. The wax of choice at that time was Car Skin. I doubt the Car Skin caused the problem and I doubt the NXT caused your problem. I suspect it was the British paint because I have never had another car have that problem.
                            Please ! i can understand the loyalty that many of you feel after having great success with meguiars on your modern 2k finishes. However As i keep saying this has only happened after using nxt2.....dodo juice , rain and hot sun fine. Nxt2 rain and hot sun fubared. Its not something i intend to live with especially as its unsuitability for this kind of paint which i have a feeling is either cellulose or tpa was never stated in a warning on the product.

I have been painting cars for 26 years and spent 7 of those preparing and painting pre and post war Rolls /Bentleys and later 60's ferraris for Pebble beach, louis vitton etc etc.

If need be and once i've seen the tech rep i will sand back the area then polish one side with nxt2 one side with dodo juice and subject the panel to rain and heat, then there will be no disputing the facts.

Once more and meant with respect .....i'm pleased that nxt2 has worked for you, it hasn't for me.
                            If i had been told its not suitable for cellulose or tpa i wouldn't have used it.

Thanks

Comment

I live in Staffordshire.
                              I would suggest cutting with a compound not wet sanding. I guess yours is single stage paint?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');