• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

In addition to the solvent enquiry it would be much appreciated if you could also enquire as to the Alkaline resistance of these products. I can already vouch for there resistance to acidity which is very good.

Have fun at Pebble beach and Monterey,

If necessary i'm more than happy to polish one half of my roof in Dodo juice blue velvet and the other in NXT2 and subject them to rain and sun. Though i doubt there will be sufficient paint left to work out further markings such as we've seen in this thread so it will depend on Meguiars being prepared to pay for a full repaint if rectification breaks through the topcoat?

Let me know if you'd like to take me up on the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac1 View Post
      Could you clarify what solvent is used in nxt and gold class .....is it Naptha or similar ?
      I doubt Meguiars would release that information.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Take a look at the various MSDS sheets. Maybe, just maybe that may answer some questions.

Bill

Comment

And even if you get yourself the MSDS, I doubt you'll get any concrete answers on what solvents in the NXT 2.0 that caused the water spots. Waxes, even non-meguiar ones while not the same still have some ingredients that are common to many of them.

Comment

Just noticed. Dojo juice blue velvet is a carnauba based wax (Natural): Nxt 2.0 is synthetic and is a sealant not a wax (Man made). Did you do a full Ipa wipe down clay car prior to applying Megs?.

Your test proves nothing. 2 different products a wax & a sealant. If you tried with a Megs wax I would guess the results would be the same.

I'm starting to think Megs and Dojo dont mix.

Comment

Originally posted by rapport25 View Post
              Me too.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by rapport25 View Post
                Just noticed. Dojo juice blue velvet is a carnauba based wax (Natural): Nxt 2.0 is synthetic and is a sealant not a wax (Man made). Did you do a full Ipa wipe down clay car prior to applying Megs?.

Your test proves nothing. 2 different products a wax & a sealant. If you tried with a Megs wax I would guess the results
                would be the same.

Hello and yes i removed ALL wax prior to nxt2 as stated earlier ( please keep up )
                (with respect) If with 15 years experience you cant understand why a harsh solvent base would have a detrimental effect on a soft paint finish then .......

The fact is in my opinion its unsuitable for my paint due to harsh solvent content not suitable for cellulose, and with no prior warning of possible unsuitability on the tin.

I've given meguiars a chance to prove different ( see post 46 ) if they want to take me up on it THEY can contact me.

Threads like this can go round and round with the inevitable comments from people not reading the thread and chirping up with blind faith...subsequent thread lock / deletion.

Ultimately i hope this thread may help someone who has faced the same problems i have .....after all we are car enthusiasts and not company rep's , Aren't we ??

The car is all rectified now, juiced and rain safe.
                Last edited by Zodiac1; Aug 16, 2012, 12:12 AM. Reason: Tired from polishing out water marks

Comment

I still stand by my last post. Your test proves that a sealant ignites and a pure wax does not. So its not a valid test.

As for a Ipa wipe down & clay the car prior to applying. I cant see this in the thread sorry :-(.

As Mike has said the amount of nxt 2.0 sold compared to Dojo. And the fact that it has been tried on more cars with out this issue leans towards your cars paint or Dojo juice not liking Megs.

The first thing I would of done prior to wet sanding is checked paint depth. Again cant see this mentioned in your thread. Or what process da/ rotary

We both have a difference of opinion nothing more.

Rappy :-):-).

Comment

"Hi , I used meguiars paint cleaner then nxt2 paste applyed sparingly. I have tried a small area with clay bar farecla g3 , white vinegar to neutralise the alkaline deposits, swirl x. only flatting and polishing works. This wouldn't be so bad if the repaint of years ago prior to my ownership still had a significant layer left to work with. My gut feeling is that i'll break through in several places if i f+p the whole areas".

The only ref to a clay bar in the thread. I think your process is a little wrong. Clayed after you had the water spot issue?

Comment

Firstly and with sincere gratitude for the offer of sorting my car out i would like to thank Rapport, However and i mean this with the greatest of respect to the guy i am very capable of sorting the mess and will post pics of the finished article.

Thanks again tho , it was a very kind offer and had i not had 26 years in the trade i would have bitten your hand off.
                      If you're so very capable...why is this thread here? I mean...you're spending all this time conducting this test that this sealant burns and this wax doesn't....posting pics etc. 26 years in the trade...****, that's almost as long as I've been alive.

So where are the pics of the car now? You've shared a negative experience with a Meguiar's product........so share a positive with your other product....perhaps other forum members can learn from your unfortunate unpleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CreamPuff:512415
                        Firstly and with sincere gratitude for the offer of sorting my car out i would like to thank Rapport, However and i mean this with the greatest of respect to the guy i am very capable of sorting the mess and will post pics of the finished article.

Thanks again tho , it was a very kind offer and had i not had 26 years in the trade i would have bitten your hand off.
                        If you're so very capable...why is this thread here? I mean...you're spending all this time conducting this test that this sealant burns and this wax doesn't....posting pics etc. 26 years in the trade...****, that's almost as long as I've been alive.

So where are the pics of the car now? You've shared a negative experience with a Meguiar's product........so share a positive with your other product....perhaps other forum members can learn from your unfortunate unpleasant experience.
                        Well said!!! :-):-):-). Also the thread title repaint required? Why would you continue to wet sand paint that was thin?

Everyday is a school day no matter what your age is.
                        I will never stop learning or claim I know everything. If I was wet sanding I would be reaching for 3000 grit not 1500.

Either way its been a good debate :-):-), thanks!!

Rappy.

Comment

Please guys, keep this thread civil.

Lot of interesting and helpful info has been swapped back and forth, don't want to see it closed.

As Rappy said, been a good 'debate'...

Bill

Comment

so we now wait for the pictures from the other side of the pond...

Comment

Originally posted by CreamPuff View Post

Here you go lads , Rappy i ended up scotchbriting the roof with white vinegar to loosen the deposits. I did not wet sand due to the increased likelihood of breaking through....am very glad to say it didn't breakthrough. Tho i did spend an indecent amount of time being very careful not to.

Then used farecla g3 , megs ultimate compound and finally 2 coats of blue velvet.

Before

After

The pics don't really do the shine justice as they were taken when i finished late last night but i think it shows enough.

As said previously the megs compound is very impressive and will definately be on my shopping list should i
                              run out of it along with the other items very kindly given by Meguiars in the uk.

Cream puff : I'm hear because,

1, I believe that the nxt was a definate cause of this and wanted/got a good response from meguiars by flagging it up.
                              I didn't mind putting the labour in but wanted remuneration on the materials.

2, As you can see i have the skills to rectify the problem , however no matter how much you know , you never know everything and its a good to keep an open mind and take in positive suggestions from others.

3, Finally i wanted to help others who have faced or may face similar problems, If i was a layman and faced with this i'd have probably faced a big bill to rectify it ...unless someone made a kind offer such as rappy did.

Comment

While were doing before and after shots i thought i'd post up a couple of the before and after shots of my engine bay tidy up which i carried out over the previous winter months.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');