• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water spotting after using nxt , now requiring repaint.

Nicely done! But honestly, I never had those kinds of water spots after using NXT 2.0... I came close some time ago when I had my car's hood refinished, then buffed 2 days later then fortunately, it rained at night. I had those same water spots, but when the sun came out it disappeared. In my case, it was due to the absence of any form of protection which I wasn't allowed to put yet. Strange, but NXT 2.0 has never given me any issues like you experienced. Only real issue could be the durability and occassional streaking, but nothing of that sort.

Comment

Hi and Thanks , The reason for your water spotting would have been due to the solvents in the fresh paint still evaporating. While solvents from fresh paint are doing this it leaves the surface soft. During this period its vital that no sealants/heavy waxes are used as this can lead to solvent popping on the surface etc.

If your car is the one in your avatar then its finish is basecoat and 2kclear. Which once hardened/fully cured will be a LOT more resilient to heavy aggressive solvents found in some waxes and sealants than a cellulose finish.

A cellulose repaint such as mine does not cure chemically like 2k and is always an unstable finish and as such you have to be very careful to use a more natural kind of wax with no harsh solvents which in my opinion will further exacerbate the natural instability of the paint.

I would be quite happy to use nxt2 on a modern 2k chemically cured finish.

Comment

Great finish Zodiac, and comments above. Now go and buy a paint depth gauge :-).

Comment

Originally posted by rapport25 View Post
          Great finish Zodiac, and comments above. Now go and buy a paint depth gauge :-).
          Lol Cheers Rappy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post

Everyone wants a wax that beads water like crazy, but in some cases - like acid rain - extreme beading can lead to problems because it causes concentrated beads of water to sit on the paint for long periods of time. Even if it's only extremely hard water (ie, a very high mineral content) problems can arise from letting it sit on the paint, regardless what wax or sealant is there to "protect" the paint.
            this is what i hate about waxes and sealants.

damned if you use em, damned if you don't.

if you have just a little dust on your car, and it only rains for a few minutes, your car gets covered in polka dots because of the water beading.

Comment

This is a very interesting thread indeed.
              Zodiac, your comments on distillates and paint softening are very interesting.
              I too am curious if the wax is to blame here. Even if the wax is not entirely at fault, maybe he got a bad batch.
              IIRC, Mike Phillips has posted a few pics of older, similar styled paint jobs, all most which were protected with Meguiar's waxes, and especially NXT. Mike is a pretty perceptive guy, I figure he would have noticed an issue such as the issue that you mentioned.
              Here is a link to his photo gallery. I'm not sure if you can tell a paint job by looking at a picture, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Edit: I forgot to post these.
              Here are the MDSD for NXT 2.0 sealant; first liquid, then paste.

Comment

Those before / after engine bay shots are amazing!
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks Davey

Hi Ghost and thanks for the above links , unfortunately its not possible to identify type of paint by pictures ...you would need to see perform a solvent test. There was a time when it was hard to pass off a 2k finish as cellulose there are some painters that can do it via flatting and polishing. Tho to achieve this the prep for such a finish starts at the bare metal stage and costs a lot of money as its very labour intensive.

I had the perfect opportunity today to test for water spotting with the Dodo juice Blue velvet today, as i've just come back from a 315 mile round trip at a car show in which there was lots of rain and lots of sun.

There was evidence of water spotting and mineral deposits in the areas where the water had beaded , very small spots.....However they were wiped off extremely easily with only a clean micrfibre with no etching into the paint at all. I think its fair to say that no wax can eliminate mineral/water spot residue but as i have seen today the Blue velvet stopped them eating into the surface, as was my original thought in this thread

It makes for interesting reading if you take for example just one of the components of tech wax paste, for example

Isoparaffinic Hydrocarbon , CAS 64742-48-9

Then get the lowdown on it here http://www.chemicalbook.com/Chemical..._CB6505512.htm

Look at the synonyms then do a search on them and there properties.

Heres an interesting on on Heavy Naptha ...an ingredient that show on the data sheet for tech wax liquid.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=effects+of+naptha+on+cellulose+paint+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qut&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=naphtha+paint+thinner&oq=+naptha+in+paint&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i22i10.13463.24878.0.28276.36.25.0.1.1.8.196.2664.14j11.25.0...0.0...1c.5TARuzFnpC8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=ef02e57bb752642e&biw=1024&bih=704

Please bear in mind that cellulose is no way near as durable as 2k.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');