• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Problem - Too Many Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Current Problem - Too Many Customers

Again, thank you to all who continue to post ideas here, they are very helpful ideas and I've incorporated a few of them over the last couple of months. I have attempted to focus more of my efforts toward customers that are looking for more paint correction type work and other exterior work as was mentioned, as that is what I prefer, and after taking the NXTi class, I have learned much more in this area. It is a little difficult because I don't feel like I'm busy enough with this type of work to completely eliminate interior work, especially over the winter months here in Seattle. However, I adjusted my pricing structure (raising prices slightly); it feels slightly like I'm getting to the point where I'm charging too much, but I have to continue to think of those supply and demand arguments (part of what learned while acquiring that business degree) so thank you for that reminder.

Anyways, so prices have been slightly raised, and I have put more emphasis on exterior jobs. I have added a very small advertising campaign focusing on high end consumers and I leave a couple days free throughout each week so that if someone calls wanting exterior work done, or if they have higher end cars, I can more easily get them in quickly, and wont have to turn away targeted customers. If I don't get calls for these, I can easily fill the spots by bumping up daily drivers scheduled further out. It's a little more work, but I feel like it is definitely worth it. Thanks again to all, and I will continue to post updates along the way.
    Dynamic Detailing

Website | Instagram | Facebook

Comment

I do a small detail and custom painting on the side . Well word of mouth really grow my customer base . I learned over the years to do 2 things . 1 , go with the money , who pays on time and pays well . 2 do only vehicles that will make YOU shine in the public eyes . I learned to stay away from cheapo's and dead beats . Also jobs that aren't worth it . It will give you a bad name , even if that's all they want . There is other people out there that can do them.

Comment

Raise your prices. Your better customers will stay with you. I'm also a small one man operation(sometimes a helper) If you have too few customers your prices are to high. If you have people lining up to get their cars done your prices are to low. When you are priced perfectly you will have as many customers as you want without having to turn many down or make them wait a month. Also your income will go up.
        Afterglow-detailing

Comment

Originally posted by jarred767 View Post
          Is there away way to solve or even partially solve this problem without adding on employees?
          night shift? )

where do you wanna be ? 1 men show ? have sub contractors ? have employees ?
          one thing is sure : you can`t be in 2 places at once. remember you run a business so act accordingly
          proreflection
          *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys, good info here.

Nick - yeah I definitely don't like scheduling that far out on regular basis; much more work with follow-up and some people tend to forget their appt. or change their plans. I figured out the weeding out process a while back, definitely helped.

Ive thought about trying to focus more energy on gaining customers more interested in exteriors and less of the "mom-mobile's." Any tips from anyone on this would be greatly appreciated; I already try a limitless harder to work these potential customers into my schedule.

Thanks again to all!!
            Best thing you can do in that regard is take their phone #, and call one day in advance of the scheduled appointment for confirmation. I have found 70% forget and that confirmation is needed. If they cancel I add a small $25 fee if they ever reschedule and have me service their vehicle.

As for the momobiles, they can be profitable if the vehicle is worth over 30k, anything less than that and your heading into el cheapo territory. All of my regular customer "momobiles" are Range Rovers, Escalades, & Infiniti OX56s.

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
            ^^^^ how do you train morons? The past few helpers I've had we're so incompetent!!!
            I was telling one of to "wipe this down" He looked at me and continued doing somthing else. I had to tell him 3 times and finaly I had to wipe it down so he could see what I ment!!!!! OMG!!!
            I'd rather work 12 hrs a day by myself then try to reley on incompetent idiots!!!
            You cannot I am afraid, I cant justify a helper since I am able to work 12-14 hr days and I can move pretty quick when I need to, without sacrificing quality either.

Originally posted by Poki View Post
            Just another suggestion: Become specialized. Maybe if your forte is paint correction/swirl removal just focus on that. Or if most of your business leans toward wash/wax/interior focus on that and back away from paint correction. You are turning customers away now and by specializing you will be turning away a segment and keeping what you want.
            I would feel uncomfortable limiting myself to just one service. But if you have enough work in one area then more power to you.

Again, thank you to all who continue to post ideas here, they are very helpful ideas and I've incorporated a few of them over the last couple of months. I have attempted to focus more of my efforts toward customers that are looking for more paint correction type work and other exterior work as was mentioned, as that is what I prefer, and after taking the NXTi class, I have learned much more in this area. It is a little difficult because I don't feel like I'm busy enough with this type of work to completely eliminate interior work, especially over the winter months here in Seattle. However, I adjusted my pricing structure (raising prices slightly); it feels slightly like I'm getting to the point where I'm charging too much, but I have to continue to think of those supply and demand arguments (part of what learned while acquiring that business degree) so thank you for that reminder.

Anyways, so prices have been slightly raised, and I have put more emphasis on exterior jobs. I have added a very small advertising campaign focusing on high end consumers and I leave a couple days free throughout each week so that if someone calls wanting exterior work done, or if they have higher end cars, I can more easily get them in quickly, and wont have to turn away targeted customers. If I don't get calls for these, I can easily fill the spots by bumping up daily drivers scheduled further out. It's a little more work, but I feel like it is definitely worth it. Thanks again to all, and I will continue to post updates along the way.
            I wish you the best of luck with your business. But I think you may be making a mistake by not targeting interior/ wash & wax jobs. They can be profitable. Plus they are more fun & easier than paint correction IMO.

Even in the slower/ winter months, I am usually making 800 -1k a week doing just regular wash/waxes & interior jobs.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

My Father always said "If your have to much business keep raising your prices.
              Detail Werks
              Derek Bemiss
              SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');